Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bag End Warranties

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 30, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Does anybody know if Bag End cabinet warranties are transferable? I'd rather buy new, but if I can replace the speaker when it blows for 4-5 years, maybe used wouldn't be so bad!

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'll have to find my warrenty tag and see what it says.

I don't think that they are but I've been treated INCREDIBLY well by Bag End's customer service when I had a small bit of trouble with a 2nd hand cabinet. They do have one of the best customer service operations that I've dealt with.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Word!

Give them a call, and they'll tell you all about the warranty - 847 382 4550. Ask for Craig, and tell him Ken of the S15-D Speakon jackplates sent you!

4. Would a blown speaker be under warranty? I thought my local dealer informed me that they weren't covered as they were a combustible part or something to that effect.

(It was for a Hartke cab, so that may not apply here. Just curious).

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    :) I think that you mean "consumable". ;)

Bag End is the only company that carries a 6 year warranty, as far as I know. And I do know that they take their customer service VERY seriously. But blown speakers are ususally excluded from any warranty because they are a consumable.

6. Yah, that's the word! Sorry, it's a holiday here so I turned my brain off for a while I guess. :meh:

Thanks for clearing that up.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Dude how often do you blow speakers? Sounds like you fry one every now and then and think it's normal?

8. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Haven't blown one in about 5 years, Pete! Ever since I replaced the 15 in my current S-15D with a 600 watt Carvin speaker, I've had absolutely no problems. Doesn't sound bad either.

I don't care what anybody says, a 200 watt rated speaker is only going to take so much. I plan on running a minimum of 1000 watts through a pair of BEs. I love these cabinets(portable and sound awesome), but I guess I'll have to figure an extra $100 or so to replace the original speaker.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Brace yourself. The list price that I was quoted on a replacement BE speaker was around $250. That was for a 12"

10. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    The 15s list for $280.:eek: Don't worry, if it blows I won't be replacing it with another Bag End driver. Something about those Eminence speakers. . .:p

11. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I haven't looked at the Eminence speakers, and I know that they make alot of them, but you should make sure they make one that will work properly for that cabinet size. I am pretty sure that bag end designed their cabinets around the speakers, or at least had speakers designed for their small cabinets.
    I have never been a fan of sticking a new speaker into a prebuilt cab designed for something else, but I do have access to alot of wood :) . I am sure it beats throwing it away. If this is something you are counting on, I would at least see how close of a match for an Eminence speaker you can find.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How right you are oh painful one.

But it can be done with some careful math and research. And there's quite a few TBers can help......

13. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Josh, as Brad Johnson always says, " I could be wrong" I was told that Eminence has a special wing set up to build, strictly Bag End speakers. No big deal but I'm certain that they are made to BE specs.

14. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I was just staying that it would be a good idea to do the leg work ahead of time. Especially if you were counting on replacing it later. He might find out that the only match are the ones that Jerry quoted for $250 a pop.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've heard BE S15-D cabs loaded with a couple of different Eminence drivers. They sounded very good but not the same as the OEM driver. I have Eminence drivers in my Nahas cabs, one if which is similar to the S15-D cabs. They're all good in their own way. The easiest way to get the OEM sound is with the OEM speaker.

I don't know who made them. I seem to recall hearing at one time that BE supplied drivers for one of SWR's cabs. Just to confuse things a bit more.

BTW in 30 years of playing I've blown up exactly one driver and that was intentional. Took a driver from a Standel cab, wired it to a bass amp, set it face down on the floor and tried to see how high it would jump.

About 2 inches.:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    LMAO :D :eek:

Gosh, Josh. I'm certain that Bag End wouldn't jive you on that. And there certainly isn't anything wrong with EV speakers. Whatever BE uses seems to sound good to me. And they sure are built tough. But I'm not sure that I would routinely inject a kilowatt into a pair of S15's as replacement speakers are just too spendy.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I find that using gear in it's comfort range can lead to a long, uneventful product life.

BTW I blew that driver up when I was a teen, it belonged to the guy who suggested the "experiment"...

I rarely get that bored anymore.

18. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Finally got an e-mail from Bag End. Their 6-year warranty is transferable. I replied back asking about if speakers are covered. I'll let you know when I hear back. Probably wishful thinking, though.

19. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, wishful. But I'll tell you, it is very tough to blowout a Bag End speaker. Not that I've tried but they sure seem to take the power that they are rated for and not pop a bead of sweat. They seem to have attitude.;)

20. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hey PolkaHero! I play in a polka band down here in Toledo. I was thinking about getting some BE cabinets. I currently have an SWR SuperRedhead with a Yorkville 15 underneath. After the last festival, I am becoming more disappointed with the lack of bottom. My drummer keeps telling me I have to get an 18. But I was thining about going the Preamp, power amp route with a "good" 15 and two tens. Are the BE that good? Nobody carries them down here for me to try out, so I was going to try an order some. Whatcha think?