Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BAG END

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEVILMAN, Aug 4, 2003.

1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HELLo All,

I was wondering if anyone here has compared the S18B-B(natural birch) to the S18B-D(carpeted poplar) & heard any sound difference?

They have the same design & specs, the only difference is the cab's wood type.

Also, how do the BE's compare to the SWR Big Ben in sound & quality?

thanks,
    ~S~

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey, D-Man.

I confess that I haven't heard either of those two BE 18's, but I did have a Big Ben for a while which was loaded with a BE driver. Sounded really good for an 18. As to the difference between enclosure woods, I've found Bag End themselves very friendly and forthcoming with these sorts of exploratory questions. In fact, I just e-mailed mrknowitall@bagend.com about ELF(now INFRA) and got a reply the next day. The birch will be heavier, and they claim it is very durable even without a covering. I nearly had my Q10 done in the birch, but I got the Line-X instead.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    coyote,

I called them & as you mentioned, they are top notch in customer relations with any questions.

They said the birch is heavier & some people hear a sound difference. The only reason to choose one over the other would be for cosmetic reasons & possible durability issues(depending on your gigs & habits or roadies).

Someone also told me that the BE's have a tighter sound with the option to run them ported as to sealed(via a removable cover) & the SWR is more open(maybe due to its rear ports)but equally as loud.

Roll off, now that's another question...

later,
    ~S~

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I can't add anything specificly related to the question but I would like to jump in and say that dealing with Bag End customer service is a dream. Very, no-nonsense treatment. In the same league as folks like Jim Bergantino, Roger Sadowsky and Mike Tobias.

Plus I still can't believe just how well the BE stuff is put together. It must be built to mil spec.

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd definitely like to know about that 'optional porting' feature. Seems like that would really kick w/ a tube amp.

6. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    hey there. currently playing a big ben, love it.
    I've played a number of baggies, uptill 5 years ago. birch sounded deeper and clearer in mids than
    carpeted. but for traveling, you wept evertime somebody bangs it or has a beer around it. I had a birch as home rig for years loved it, but took up way alot of room. the ben is lighter, easier to move. I find the ben has a faster response time, good mid's,which can be eq'ed out, always struggled with mid's live with baggies, in differnt envirnments. the ben needs, and I mean needs a good 2 -3 feet clearance from rear surface for rear port sound to work and give full range sound, clear lows. this is a problem in small stages,and venues. an advantage when next to a loud drummer, and a blessing when you need to hear yourself and you cannot access the front cone throw zone of your cabinet.ben is very effecient, sounds good and deep with a swr 350 or 750. I use it with a 4-12" cabinet. the ben has almost no highs,which is alright with me. but as stand alone
    you would be lacking. there are great deals on bens, new. check them out. later

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    debassed,

Between the birch BE & the Big Ben, which was louder & which had more of a roll off(loss of db's) in the lower Hz range, or in other words, which was the king when it came to "B" string?

I'll be running a seperate pre/power(Crown Macro) for the 18's(as I always have) so eq'ing them for more or less in a certain range(mids)etc is not a problem.

I like the SWR rear port(like the Goliath 2)but you need a wall or something flat behind you to get real results with it. The BE has a removable port cover to use it either way.

Beyond the fact of maintainence with the BE's wood enclosure would you say there were any major differences in performance?

Everyone else: Thanks for your replies!!!

later,
    ~S~