1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag for gig "utilities"

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Michal Herman, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:00 AM.

Tags:
  1. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    What do you recommend to use to get all "utilities" for a gig?
    I am usually bringing cables, tuner, preamp, sheets with music, backup strings. Lately also a small stand for bass guitar, when I need to use both (DB and guitar) for a gig.
    Now I use old laptop bag, which is nice because I can put it on an arm when I carry other things in my hands. But it's quite heavy because it has kind of protection (for a laptop) which is not needed for cables. Also, it's old and worn and I need to change it.
    Any recommendations?

2. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I've got the gig bag from gohiller. It has my doubler, a tuner, all cables, batteries, extra strings, and lots of room to spare. I'm not sure about the guitar stand but it would hold everything else you listed easily. If it's one of those mini Hercules stands I would think it would fit but I don't know for sure

edit: It's roughly 16x12x3.5 but that's with just my stuff in it. There is a lot of room to spare so it is thicker than that. I just did a quick measure without pulling the edges tight

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Smaller profile backpack.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A decent backpack is designed for equipment that size, and generally has a carry handle on top along with the shoulder straps. If you are carrying a class D head, a laptop backpack also has a foam compartment that may be the perfect size. Check the bargain section of places like Staples - usually $5-10.

5. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I use this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gigskinz-mixer-utility-bag/h76107
    Very sturdy. Mine has two mics in the front compartments, plus multi-tool, batteries; inside compartment carries cables, preamp. The reason I prefer it over a backpack is that I can lay it flat and see what is where - instead of digging through a backpack. Obviously, it won't hold a guitar stand.

6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I use a modified Messina trumpet bag. All the cables, cords, mic, and a PJB Double Four, plus pockets for CD’s and laptop/iPad on the sides.

Attached Files:

Michal Herman likes this.
  7. I've used an old, soft-sided briefcase for years. It's not the most elegant solution, but works perfectly well for me.