1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag for gig "utilities"

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Michal Herman, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    What do you recommend to use to get all "utilities" for a gig?
    I am usually bringing cables, tuner, preamp, sheets with music, backup strings. Lately also a small stand for bass guitar, when I need to use both (DB and guitar) for a gig.
    Now I use old laptop bag, which is nice because I can put it on an arm when I carry other things in my hands. But it's quite heavy because it has kind of protection (for a laptop) which is not needed for cables. Also, it's old and worn and I need to change it.
    Any recommendations?

2. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I've got the gig bag from gohiller. It has my doubler, a tuner, all cables, batteries, extra strings, and lots of room to spare. I'm not sure about the guitar stand but it would hold everything else you listed easily. If it's one of those mini Hercules stands I would think it would fit but I don't know for sure

edit: It's roughly 16x12x3.5 but that's with just my stuff in it. There is a lot of room to spare so it is thicker than that. I just did a quick measure without pulling the edges tight

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Smaller profile backpack.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A decent backpack is designed for equipment that size, and generally has a carry handle on top along with the shoulder straps. If you are carrying a class D head, a laptop backpack also has a foam compartment that may be the perfect size. Check the bargain section of places like Staples - usually $5-10.

5. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I use this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gigskinz-mixer-utility-bag/h76107
    Very sturdy. Mine has two mics in the front compartments, plus multi-tool, batteries; inside compartment carries cables, preamp. The reason I prefer it over a backpack is that I can lay it flat and see what is where - instead of digging through a backpack. Obviously, it won't hold a guitar stand.

Winoman likes this.
  6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I use a modified Messina trumpet bag. All the cables, cords, mic, and a PJB Double Four, plus pockets for CD’s and laptop/iPad on the sides.

Attached Files:

7. I've used an old, soft-sided briefcase for years. It's not the most elegant solution, but works perfectly well for me.

8. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings
    I've had great luck with camera bags. They can be a little expensive but you can find deals if you look around.

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I use my wife's old backpack: little smaller size, but fits cables (which I keep separated in gallon-sized ziplocks); my stand, music stand (which protrudes from the top), a couple of pedals, and strings.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Remember - if the bag is "designed" for something, the price will be higher, whether or not it is any better.

11. Max George

Max George

Dec 27, 2015
    I have a 5.11 backpack from Gall’s, a MOAB 6 in gray to match my bass bag. It’s a sling type pack with a very substantial strap. It’s made for military and law enforcement us and is very heavy duty, with lots of pockets. I have older ones, and they don’t even show wear. And they come in larger sizes. This one was about 60$

12. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
  13. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I just use a duffel bag. I have a selection from small to large, all of which I bought at Wal-Mart, Marshall's or equivalent cheap places. They all come with a shoulder strap, which can be quite helpful. I have been doing this for close on to 30 years now, and I don't remember ever having any trouble like wearing out - but if one does eventually wear out, I'll throw it away and get a replacement. I suppose I have never paid more than $30 for one.

If I had slightly smaller equipment and/ or several old backpacks, that would also be a good choice. You can buy a cheap but functional backpack for under $30 as well.

Basically, as far as I am concerned, it's not "worn out" till it develops holes or the zipper breaks. I mean, you're going to be schlepping this thing all over, setting it down in puddles while loading/unloading, having beer spilt on it, etc., so why spend a dime more than you need to?

Winoman likes this.
  14. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Isn't this a bit silly? Every bassist has his own "kit" which varies widely from one player to the next, and even from one gig to the next. Besides the range of size, there are some like me who are happy to pack their gear into a ratty old backpack that someone threw away, while others who will spend hundreds on a military grade woven Kevlar bag. It seems like there is too much variability here for any useful advice to be shared.
    How about this one:
    41PMw0mBj8L._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.
    Mont Blanc. Only 1800 bucks!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  15. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    I use a cloth grocery bag.

Winoman, Lbsterner and robobass like this.
  16. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Also consider theft potential. Put your stuff in a dirty old cloth shopping bag, and it's much less likely to get stolen:)

17. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    All my extras go in the front pouch of my pedal board bag, I have a Mono one.

18. Lbsterner

Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    Same here.

19. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    I use a small Samsonite travel bag. Found it second hand, very durable, lock compatible, little heavy when fully stuffed.

20. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    My mothers old metal roller skate case, around 1952-53. It's pretty awesome!

robobass likes this.