Bagend S15-D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noelpaz, Feb 3, 2003.

1. How do these cabinets sound? If mated to an Eden 210, would I have any compatability issues. The edens are efficient (not power hungry) but what about BagEnd?
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'll probably get my ass kicked again, but the Bag End 15's are really flat. REALLY FLAT. Cept they have a huge rolloff at something like 50 hz - which is not to say they don't sound bassy, cause they can sound thick and loud, but you never get rid of that agressive midrange. Some people LOVE the sound, but for me, I prefer either A) a "full range" (in quotes because there is no such thing that's actually affordable and portable) flat sound or B) a swampy fat sound that still retains some clarity.

And that my friends, it that.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    i know, i know. i'm wincing, believe me.

5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have two Bag End S-15D cabs and they sound pretty damn big. I am working on getting two with the coax S-15 so I will have 4 15s! That **** ought to really pump. These are great cabs. Reliable, Portable, and will fit anywhere. I can fit two of them in my Audi A4 trunk! Highly recomended.;)
  6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have to say that I'm pretty amazed at what my EA CXL112 does for me. If you find one used they aren't much more that epi's or bergies 112s. The are portable flat and have huge bass and can get very loud. Mine easily keeps up with a loud 6 piece funk band.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a pair of S15-Ds and love them. They are high efficiency (103 dB, if I recall).
  8. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I use a pair of S-15D's and I like them, but they are tuned to exploit a mid-range sound. I like the sound, and I really like the fact that I can put them both in the trunk of my car, and carry one in each hand. The portability (small cab) comes at a price; they do not have a huge bottom end. If you're looking for a cab that produces big booty, you may want to look elsewhere. If you want a high quality cab that's very easy to transport, with a focus on the mid-range you can't miss with the S-15D.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I gig in a fairly loud R&B/Motown band in small, medium and large clubs. Ever since I got my Bag End S15D (8 months ago)my beloved (but heavy) Eden 410XLT has never been to a gig. Sounds fabulous and is light as a feather. And I use it with a 5 string to boot.
    Sorry Van...kicked again.
  10. I also have 2 Bag End S15-D's. My Mackie 1400i barely keeps these things happy.
  11. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I can't disagree with anything vanselus
    said. If you like agressive mid range you'll love the Bag End 15's. My problem is I keep wanting my 2 Bag End 15's to sound like my Ampeg 610 cab and I don't think it's going to happen. They sound great, just different.
  12. I've gotten to see/hear/feel two different sets of S15-D cabs with the E-15 driver installed.

One is smoked. One is not.

Listening observations: no bottom. Loud, punchy, and has the big Eden hump in the midbass. You will be heard in the mix, but not felt on the dance floor. Very small size and light weight.

Electrical observations: tiny amount of linear cone movement (Xmax). Optimum box is 3.65 to 4.14 cubic feet, so this driver is crammed into a too-small space which produces the mid-bass hump. Rated at 200 watts. The big rear port appears to tune this box very high. I'd guess at least 70 Hz, which is probably why the smoked one died under a 5-string bass.

The smoked one I saw appeared to have welded the voice coil into the magnetic gap. The DC resistance was in spec, but the cone would not move to hand pressure. Gentle power through my amp made Very Bad Sounds.
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Very good description IMO. Good cab fot hearing yourself on stage and cutting through the mix. Good for those of us who hvae pa systems with 18's in them :D

bgavin, why do you think the speaker smoked? Overpowering with too much low end? I play a 5 through mine without any problems but I probably baby mine a little more than most folks. 200 watts per cab seems like plenty to me. I've run 500 watts per cab before but it seemed real unecessary
  14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    FINALLY! Someone posts facts to back up what my ears 'been hearin. Where were you last time I was getting my ass chewed for dissin the BE15?

15. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    The bag End 15 cabs are absolutely awesome. They are very efficient speakers which means you do not need alot of watts to push them. One by itself is not really a big sound. But when you stack two of them, watch out man. My cabs have alot of low end, so I do not understand why these people are saying that they do not have alot of low end. They have a excellent midrange bite also(Jaco). The high end with a Jazz bass is really good but if you like the tweeter sound get the S-15XD. I again highly recommend these cabs. Two of them are louder, lower, and better sounding than my eden
    4-10. I use a SWR SM-900 bridged @4 ohms with them and they pump.
  16. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Just A/B them with a true full range speaker, then tell us what you think.

Now, that's not to say that you can't LOVE the tone of the BE - many people do.

But as mr. gavin said - its physically impossible for those speaks to reproduce true lows.
  17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    And two of them is just amazing
  18. The E-15 driver has an F3 of about 60 Hz in an optimal flat alignment, and 72 Hz in SBB4. This tells me it's designed to be loud, but I don't have sufficient data to calculate SPL or No for this driver.

As for the smoking part, it must have gone over-power. I wouldn't push it very hard with low notes.

Perhaps too much concern is given to what it won't do, and not enough attention is given to its strong points. It is loud, punchy, small, and light weight.
  19. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    i'm right there with ya - hell, i used a pair for 3 years without a hitch.

in fact, for a lot of venues, that midrange is preferrable - especially if you have PA support...
  20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Actually, you could probably get by with only one coax w/three non-coax. I think one will provide plenty of highs. Might save you a little cash.

I was considering gettnig a couple of D10BX-Ds and another BE owner suggested getting one D10B-D and the other coax (D10BX-D). YMMV.