BagEnd S15X-D question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Ok, i'm currently playing with a Mesa 400+ and a BagEnd Q10BX-D, and i'm thinking of solidifying my rig a bit.

I was originally looking into an Aguilar GS112, as i could use it as a standalone, or along with my BagEnd, but then happened to come across this cheap used S15X-D in my local music store.

It's in PRISTINE condition, no rips in the carpet, not a thing wrong with it at all, and it's selling for 400$CAN. I figured that was quite the deal, so i figured i'd try the sucker out. I was playing out of a Mesa MPulse360, and it sounded good... however that's with a Solidstate amp, and i'm sure it would sound quite a bit different with an all tube amp such as mine.

I guess my real question is.... how does it compare to an Aguilar GS112.

More power handling - 300W RMS
    More Expensive - 670$CAN

Less power handling - 200W RMS
    Less expensive - 400$CAN

How will the BagEnd work as a standalone? Would it work well for small coffee shops, and such? How would it compliment my current Q10BX-D??? Would i get any bottom end? Too much high end? anyone use that kindof a combination before?

As well, has anyone used both the S15X-D and the GS112 side by side, and compared the two?

thankyou.. everyone

2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Most of the players that use the Bag End 15's around here push 300 to 500 watts through those them with no problem. I did a thread about this about a year ago. As far as the coffee house type of gig I think it would be an excellent choice. Not the most low end from a 15 cab but useable. As far as using it with your 410 cab, I don't think it would add a whole lot. The 410 cab would probably blow it away with volume and low end. Just my opinion.
  3. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Both cabinets are well made and both should have a different tone or timbre, which would be my reason for choosing one or the other. But your not me.

I would go into the music store with 300-350 in cold cash and try to low ball the Bag End.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They're both 8 ohm cabs with about the same efficiency. Might work well, might not.

As far as the BE 15 compared to the Aggie 112 I've always preferred the BE. The Aggie's cool but I've been able to make it fart with a low B at volumes the BE handled with ease.
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Lots of good advice in this thread. I have the BE and love it. Yes it can stand alone, but it doesn't go quite as low as other 15s. It can handle at least 400W. I second the lowball advice, prices on used gear tend to be more flexible. If you like the tone, go for it!
  6. To be honest, i actually offered the guy 300$ already, but he didn't accept.

I could probably talk the guy down to 375, maaaaybe 350, but that's pushin it. Like i said... it's actually in incredable condition. I bet they could sell it as new, and noone would notice. I'm glad BagEnd isn't a very popular compant up here, because no one's ever heard of them. Everyone loves their SVT3-pro's and HUGE ampeg 8x10's.

In any event i think i'll go with the BE cab, as long as no one grabs it before i can get down to the shoppe.

Thanks very much

7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000

Cash is King 1-A

I suggested you go into the store with cold cash in your hand so he/they can see the money. Pull three hundred out of your wallet and keep the extra fifty in another pocket.

The idea is to act like it's all you've got. Makeing a verbal offer suugests you have a credit card with enough credit to give him his price. Another point. If this store closes Saturday afternoon for the week end then go in just before closing. Make sure your dealing with the owner or at least someone with decision making authority. Do you know how long the cabinets been for sale? If its been sittin' there for a month that's in your favor.

If they say no deal then walk. Go back another day with the same offer pluse the extra fifty or whatever.

If you've already drooled over the cabinet and let them know how great it is or how much you want it...well. You should be able to find some fault with it be worn corners, dirt, or something. Stop assuming its value, your dealing.
  8. An excellent idea. I will DEFINATELY try that out.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Don't forget, unless you are just dying to have the coax speaker,you can buy the s 15d without the coax speaker used for $300 or less almost every day of the week either here at talkbass classified or or bass nw etc....:cool: