1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bagend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dveeus1, Apr 2, 2006.

1. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I dont know that I have ever read anything on this forum in regards to Bagend cabinets.

I have played through them in stores over the years and have always found them to be really pleasing in the tone department.

Well I am finally going to get off my duff and stop playing through my SWRs and go to something else.

Does anyone on the forum have any extended knowledge regarding Bagend??

I am looking at doing either a Q10BX-D or 2 D10BX-D's

ur thoughts??

2. Use the Search feature. There's plenty of info here on BagEnd.

3. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    1+ :)

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I really like their 15" loaded cabs. There was also a used BE 410 at GC a while back, and it sounded damn good.

5. Check for posts by "4 Mal". He uses BagEnd 10s. Most guys here are using the 12s and/or the 15s. IvanMike is a very big BagEnd supporter.

6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have a pair of the larger S15B-D speakers (not the compact, cubed 15"). I usually play through an SWR Silverado Special (w/ 2x12's) and I set the combo on top of one of the BagEnds. Sounds great! I like it better than anything else I have heard. In outdoor settings, I use the two 1x15's through a Peavey Max700, and it sounds great, too.

I can't report any specifics about the 10's. I have never heard them (in person).

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Do a search with my name on it. I sold 4Mal his first Bag End cabinet.

I still have my D12D which is on the "will never sell" list.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Very nice cabs. I played out of an SD15/SD15x stack for many years:

IMO...

Positives.... Great quality and fit and finish, very warm, punchy sound, nice, natural tweeter.

Negatives.... heavy cabs, no tweeter attenuator, rear ported (which some say is not an issue, others do given the relatively high tuning of the cabs), more mid punch than true low end in the smaller cabs.

Very unique sound... if you don't mind the weight, they are very nice. IMO, they haven't changed their design in many, many years... seems like they are a little bit behind on size/weight/efficiency/low end extension versus other cabs on the market at this point... again, purely IMO.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. I caught the Bag End disease from Jerry ... I'm up to 3 now. I'll be down to 2 at some point not too far out. I tried to pry that D12 from JJ but was unsuccessful...

My POV is that Bag End cab's don't spec well. There is zero hype from them. They don't seem to be in a big rush to sign up dealers. You actually have to go looking for them. They don't carry the exotic Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, etc cache' as they don't market specifically to the bass community.

What Bag End does really well is build a very musical sounding cab. It isn't overly colored it's just that everything seems to sound good through it. The cab's are a little undersized so in general they don't go super deep but - the cab seems to be tuned so that things roll-off very smoothly. There is no artificial wackiness in the low end. I've listened closely to some of the 'boo-teak' cab's that are very popular in the press and on this site. Some of those cab's sacrifice smooth even response in the low bass in order to get down to the 36hz mark or thereabouts. That is sort of what I mean about the spec sheet thing.

The real deal with Bag End is that you have to get the cabinet on stage. Then you'll get it. They just seem to sit in a mix and cut without getting obnoxious about it. Kinda like a good pocket bass player - his job is to make the people around him sound better, these cab's kind of do the same thing...

Last night Passinwind and I had our rigs side by side, His new home brew pre (which is very cool), A Symetrix Comp, a 2402 bridged into his 1210 on an auralex gamma. A very nice sounding rig indeed.

My Alembic, into the GK into 1 D-10BX-D was right there. Ultimately, PW's rig could bury me. I mean it's what 1200 watts vs 700 ... but tonally the rigs are more similar than not. The Schro goes deeper, and has low end punch to beat the band! Acoustic 360 in a can is what I call it. The BE has sweeter highs and more complex mids. (The crossover and co-ax tweet from BE is the smoothest in the biz I think...)

The D-10BX-D is the 2x10, co-ax tweet, Deep cabinet. If I'm taking one cab, that's the one. I'm going back and forth on either a D-10-D or a D-10X -D as the second cab. Those guys are the shallow cab's and offer up more mid-range complexity, The X-D has the tweet, the D-10_D is tweeterless. It's tough to decide which works better. It seems to be down to the room characteristics more than anything else.

Anyway - yep. I'm a big fan.

10. appler

appler Guest

Do yourself a favor and try the fifteens. They are tight, punchy, and dynamic--not your average fifteen. Plus, the small one is only forty-five pounds.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    C'mon Mal, buy my extra PLX and run stereo, and keep all three BE cabs.:cool: That deep 210 cab is really cool. At this point maybe we can stop bringing both our rigs to every open mike, cause they both sound pretty danged good? It it were my choice, I think I'd keep the tweeterless cab to pair with the deep one. I'm a fan of using one tweeter per overall system rather than confusing the issue with phase interference issues and whatnot.

Oh, yeah: I did play through a single 15 BE cab last weekend with a vintage B-15 head. It was great for that old school thing. The 10s are kinda "updated" old school in a way too, IMO. That's perfect for Mal's gigging situation. The weight of those 210 cabs is a deal breaker for me though.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You know the upside to having two bass rig's on stage is that there is less room for guitar rigs ... but I hear you on that and fact is coming from different directions we've ended up at two quite similar sounding rigs. Your's get the hifi nod, mine get's the old school nod I think... but it maybe down to a matter of EQ.

BE does seem to pack an awful lot of weight into a relatively small cab. I was wondering if they led-lined those things ... You should attempt to move the 2x12 Birch sealed cab sometime (or maybe not) ... Unloaded that thing has to be 70 lb's... with the Altecs in it. Well it's unloaded now ...

I'm leaning toward the tweeterless cab myself... It's is about 8 lb's lighter and the high's on that cab remind me of my old SVT ... I have spent more time dialing out tweeters rather than dialing them in it seems to me anyway..

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Have you tried the small Bergantino HT210S cab? While it does have a tweeter, it's a very natural, warm sounding high end, and the cabs vibe reminds me somewhat of the Bag End thing.. punchy and smooth without a lot of low end extension. While it is 55 pounds, it's very small, and very thin (I think only 12" deep), very easy to get around, and can take a lot of power. It gets louder in my experience than most of the smaller Bags and is lighter and 'smoother' sounding through its whole range.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I haven't tried that one. I have heard the HT322 and also a 210, not sure which model but it was a fairly large cabinet. The 322 was impressive but maybe larger than life. Not was I was looking for but there was much about it to like...

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    an older post of mine.......

FWIW, lately i've been trying using two S15 cabs. The upside is that it's a bit louder than the 15/12 stack, and has more bass (almost no need to ever boost bass on the eq). The downside is i lose some of the razor sharp mids of the 12, and eq doesn't quite bring that back. However, it may be that the 15/12 tone is just me, i get no complaints no matter what i use.

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Mal, I believe you nailed it squarely on the head. The Bags are not a "me too" company. I've never gotten a bad sound out of any Bag End cab unless I put it there. There is something just right with them in the mix. I've always found the coax to be extremely musical and never needing a fix. Just real seamless in the tone.

They are heavy but I attribute that to being solidly built to last in a real gig world. I've heard horror stories of these cabinets being dropped out of trucks on the highway at 60 mph andd playing like nothing happened.

I'm really glad that the D10 was to your liking. When you left with that cabinet I was thinking that I was pretty foolish. What a great jam session speaker. Built for the long haul and plenty loud without ever loosing a step. But the D12 is still a cabinet that play through very often. It really likes the old Demeter and the Alembic preamps and it just craves that PLX1602 bridged into it.