Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bagpipe music...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, May 19, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hi, out of curiosity, I D/Led the new movie "The New Guy" and there is a part that has a rip on Braveheart, and has some bagpipe action going on. It's probably the most common bagpipe music heard in movies...I know I'm vauge, but it's because I have NO idea what the song is, or who made a good recording of it...which is why I'm asking...what is that?

Sorry I can't be more specific. Though, while I'm at it, anyone know any good bagpipe music?

Thanks

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's two wild guesses. One could be the song "Scotland the Brave." The other could be the song "Oh you take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll get to Scotland afore ye. For me and my true love will never meet again on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomand." (Sorry, I know the words, but not the name.)

If the music was Irish, the song "Oh, Danny Boy" is often played on bag pipes. Another song often played is "Amazing Grace." All of these are wild guesses and I may be way off.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just checked out Amazon.com They have several Scottish bagpipe albums. You can check the contents of each one and even listen to parts of the songs. They also have the soundtrack to Braveheart which may have the song you have been hearing.

It was an education for me. I had no idea how many Scottish marches and Scottish songs there are. It would be hard to judge which of the many that have been recorded would be the one you are looking for. Good luck in your search and let us know the name of it, if you find the song.

4. somewhat off-thread, but the title reminded me of this:

Bagpipe Music

(it has to be read aloud to be effective...)

- Wil

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    KoRn has some bagpipes on a song of theirs, maybe 2. :D

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If you go down to disney land florida at the epcot center go to the Canada section you can hear a band called "Off Kilter" there amazing there singer uses bag pipes its like classic rock with a little something extra they've got a cd out so you might be able to find some mp3's somewhere.

7. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I would guess "Scotland the Brave". That the most common bag pipe song ive heard on television and in movies.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've considered learning the GHP, to the point of traveling an hour and a half to the nearest 'pipe specialty store (Sterling/Rock Falls, IL). Someday...

I've considered getting one of the electronic chanters. The act of blowing through the chanter has very little relation to playing the pipes (it's like playing a recorder), so why bother? Besides, the electronic chanter has a MIDI output!

(On edit): Electronic Chanters