Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bagpipe song played at funurals?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Sorry about the bad spelling but does anyone know where I can get the music for the song that is commonly played in funurals on movies? I want to translate it into a bass or guitar tab so I can play it.

2. i dont think this is what I am looking for. That link didnt have that solo like part. I dont know what to say when asking. i want to play that high pitched funueral song on guitar. like when the bagpipe is playing alone. hmmmm

3. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd double check that it's not Amazing Grace...if you watch the funeral scene in the movie Tommy Boy, an awesome bagpipe and brass version of A.G. plays throughout, and with my knowledge of music and funerals, I'm pretty sure that's the one you're looking for.

However, I could be wrong

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Bagpipes have a strange tuning system, which gives their distinctive "mournful" (polite term!) sound and they play strange scales which are not used in any other western music really - it was discussed here in depth - try a search - but it's not really possible to replicate it on other instruments.

So - they are tuned sharp against a constant drone and some use "just" temperament scales and others use an altogether differnet temperament - which makes them quite unique and as I say : impossible for most other instruments to play....:meh:

5. yeah I am talking about the one from Tommy Boy. It is A.G. I just can't be satisfied with out the tone of bag pipes playing it I guess.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So take up bagpipes. See? Easy solution.

Who knows? You might look good in a kilt.

7. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    As a bass player and a bagpipe player, I can honestly say that the pipes are a cool instrument. They're a lot harder to play than bass but when you do it right they can't be beat. Funny thing is that on the bagpipe forums we talk about instruments and tone just like on Talkbass. Hmmm.

8. I don't mean to be malicious-

But, how could anyone in the United States not know the song Amazing Grace? I'm not talking about knowing how to play it, just recognizing the song Amazing Grace.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been in a class full of people who didn't know who Paul McCartney OR the Beatles were. Not knowing Amazing Grace in comparison is but a minor transgression.

10. Although either is INCONCIEVABLE to me, a traditional religious song that dates back around a hundred and fifty years or so seems like it would fall into the "common knowledge" folder...

It all depends on your audience, I guess... :meh:

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "Amazing Grace" sounds great played on a slide g**tar ..... I know ..... I tried it....
    :crying: