Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bah! Killed another tweeter...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Mar 7, 2003.

1. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I guess I got a little slap happy and cranked the tweeter volume up to high, cause it doesn't work any more. The last time it was my guitarist's fault, but I'm pretty sure I'm to blame this time. It's an 8ohm Avatar 2x10 BTW.

A couple questions:

Would these work just fine as replacements?
    Tweeter 1
    Tweeter 2 (minus the capacitor)
    They have the same impedance so they should work right...right? Just want to double check. ;)

Also, how can I prevent this from happening again (besides cranking the tweeter down :rolleyes: )? I know some cabs use a light bulb in series with the tweeter (18 watt, 24 volt???), is it just as simple as wiring it in, or is there something else I gotta do?

Also, how hard would it be to put a tweeter in my Avatar 15 (also 8ohm)? Would the crossover/potentiometer wiring look like the one in my 2x10?

Thanks very much.

2. honestly, Id call Dave. he'd be the best person to get a deal from (seeing as how you bought it from him initially)

3. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Well, I got my first replacement from Dave, that was really cool. It cost me $20. The ones from speakerhole are cheaper (and I'm cheap ;)). Plus the little metal cone in the fostex rattled around a lot (maybe I just got a bad one). Meh, just thought I'd try something different.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you could probably just replace the diaphragm in your existing tweeter

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    But those avatar tweeters are so noisy. I never put mine more than a quarter of the way up. Maybe theres some sort of upgrade tweeter that may be more dependable/quieter.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wouldn't even look at replacements till you figure out what exactly is blowing them? Here's some questions:-

Do other Avatar owners blow tweeters regularly? Is it possible you pushing your amp a bit hard and sending a clipped signal to the cab? Is there smething in your signal chain that might be spiking the tweeter like maybe a harsh EQ setting?

7. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    uhh, maybe a little of everything? :D :(

I found this, which looks identical to the one I pulled out of mine. Only $2.

So anyone got any details/diagrams on the light bulb thing?

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Now might be a good time to experiment with not using a horn for a while. I gave up on horns years ago when I realized they made my entire tone sound thin when it was on. You've got a good cab; step back from it and listen to it without it.

There's my two drachmas.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :eek: Blasphemy!!!! Get the gone thy sinner!!!!!!

10. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I have been playing without it, and it sucks :( I need my tweeter.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's a sin in my country to turn tweeters up. (Or maybe just in my head:spit: )

12. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

if you are using any distortion it will blow the tweeter due to the output, turn it down if so, most tube amps and pre-amps recommend turning down the tweeter in your cab when using distortion, also buy driving the amp to clip or limit, we all like that compression from overdrive but your tweeter wont, this is a quote from swr (Another note to remember is that in order to achieve the warm distortion Stella is capable of delivering, the tweeter on the speaker cabinet it’s being run into should be turned all the way off (if the cabinet even has one to begin with):bawl:

13. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    many Tweeters need specific EQ settings to properly run them i dont want to take up a page writing about it but u can find info on these settings at Peavey .com