Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bah. MY stupid TRUCK (Calling mike N...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    1986 Toyota SR5 4x4

250k miles (almost)

It was over heating... I installed a new radiator on monday. Yes, I put anti-freeze in it :p

Today, it redlined on the temperature gauage after maybe 20 minutes of total driving time between leaving school, going to the bank, going home, driving to mcdonalds, and back... maybe a total of 8 miles.

What the hell?

Also, last week, it was doing this thing where it would jump.... like it wasnt getting enough gas or something. then it stopped doing that, and now it doesnt seem to be getting enough gas on start up.

Bah.

2. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    sounds like a worn out water pump

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    1. Check thermostat.

2. Check fuel pump and check/replace fuel filter.

4. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    check to see if the fan is running that happened with my moms car and also if it starts to overheat badly roll down the windows and turn on the heat that should help it's just uncomfortable

5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    and as for the not starting thing your vavles might need to be ground down to get rid of the buildup

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Go start your truck, let it get hot, once the engine is getting around normal temp touch both the in & out lines from the radiator. The line coming from the engine should be hot, the line going to the engine should be alot cooler. If this isn't the case then you probably have a bad pump, or a blockage somewhere in the system.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did you put enough coolant in, or did you just fill the radiator up? You may have lost more than you replaced when you took the old radiator off, and leaving pockets of air in the engine. Also, a bad water pump could lead to belt wear and ultimately cause your alternator to go bad. Have you had to replace yours lately? Checking the thermostat would also be another good place to start.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I let it cool down, and low and behold.. the radiator was low on coolant, so i filled it again... drove it for a few miles, and it was back to running where it should run.

the mechanic across the street saw me out there checking under the hood, so he had me start it up, and he thinsk the fan clutch may also be causing problems.

9. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    sounds like the flux capacitor, oh wait thats the 84 :meh:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had an air bubble in my line once that caused this same problem. The air bubble came after I took apart the cooling system to replace the water pump, and I did not "bleed" the cooling system.

-Mike

11. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    your toyota is a bulletproof combat worthy vehicle !

Im only 1/2 kidding. Found pics of an 84 that took a land mine somewhere in the balkins and was driven home minus a wheel.

Ive got the SAME truck BTW.

Trust in toyota. Mine has 255k all original (minus 3 clutches and a couple batteries)

If you still have problems change the thermistat. Its easy and they tend to go south, either staying open or not opening. They should be changed as regular maintenance anyways.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    This truck is my step dads... He has done a few mods to it.. new exhaust, KN air filter, and some computer regulator thing that you use to adjust gas:air intake...

He is letting me drive it until I can afford my own car... and then he is going to rebuild the engine, put a few more performance boosting parts in it... lift it a bit, right now it only has a 3 inch body lift... he may lift the suspension 2 or 3 inches...

He is going to paint it the original blue... and then use it to haul the Baja he is building out to the desert.

Bastard! :p

I'm looking for toyota SR5 4x4's for my own car. They are all over the place, but they either have 7" lifts and have basically lost all function as a truck and off-road vehicle, or they are getting to that point where you have to rebuild the the engine and change everything out....

A guy at school has an 83 for sale for $4500... i want it.

180k miles.... 20k on a rebuilt... CD, new air conditioner, 4" lift (about 4, anyways) only problem is that it is a butt-ugly purpleish red.

maybe i should start a collection to buy a 2005 TRD Tacoma... that racing shifter would be fun out on the dunes.

13. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Its a toyota. Get a sander and some masking tape......... a case of rattle cans. It'll fit right in with the other toys. Ive been debating painting mine with truck bed liner.

Going rate on an 80s toy 4x4 round here is 2500-3500 ish. Dont go off blue book. Its WAY too high especially considering they are rust prone and they all need a paint job.

Keep your eye on craigslist in LA. Its not that far of a drive. Next time I drive by Bakersfield to go dirtbiking in CA city Ill scream HIIIII out the window for ya.

14. Ok heres your problem * enter incomprehensible redneck voice*

Thet ther problim , yer radiator is conjucnt te the appuratus in dat der trek macine im beer cug thung ant you got ta pull da beer mu ther mullet , te the blick apparatus.....ya get dat boy???

15. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    correction. I think rednecks do the chevy/ford truck thing. the toyota crowd is mostly dominated by poor people, motorcycle people, and offroaders.

jeese, a toyota doesnt even have a beer holder.

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    check thermostat, check water pump.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yuppies also drive Toyotas. After all, it does stand for Ticked Off Yuppie On The Asphalt. :)

-Mike

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I think MJ5150 nailed it, it was probably an air pocket from not bleeding the system while filling it. Most imports have a bleeder located somewhere near the top of the engine for bleeding out the air while filling the system.

I'm hoping you changed the thermostst while you were there, since overheating usually damages thermostats. Imo the extra $6 is cheap insurance.

As far as the fan clutch, if you,re only having a problem overheating while at a stop or moving slowly through traffic, the fan would be suspect. Once you get above 20 mph the fan does nothing, so if you're overheating on the x-way, you have other problems.

Never heard that one before. I'm writing it down as I type this. :D