Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bah, the state of junior schools!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Feb 13, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Earlier today, my little brother (11, in year 6), was doing some work and I noticed he'd spelt 'elephant' wrong so pointed it out, then asked 'how comes you cant spell that at your age', just enquiring.

My mum then pointed out that they no longer do spelling books (a book of words that must be learnt for a spelling test set each week), so i asked why, and she replied 'they do all their work on computers that spell for them!

:confused:

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Spelling must not count in school anymore. One guy I work with (19, with a high school diploma) is so bad at spelling(and penmanship)that im shocked he can write his own name. His friends are just as bad, too.

Im not perfect at spelling/grammar, but if this kind of stuff is acceptable in todays schools, I want a rebate on my school taxes.

3. My penmenship sucks. But I try to be careful about spelling and grammar.

In all fairness though, schools really get shafted in terms of funding. Though there are some exceptions, for the most part schools have to cut out programs, benefits etc.

Its still sad though.

4. Its because of all those damn bullies. Those punks, there the reason i cant spell, all those spit wads and dirty notes about me : ( WHY DID I HAVE TO BE THE NERD GOD WHY ME!!! AHHHHH

Hell if you think Elementary school is bad you should see middle school, noone learns anything in middle school, and the kids are damn punks. They are turning teen and starting to follow cliques. ITS HORRIBLE! have you ever seen a 13 year old drug addict? I HAVE!

Sorry i have a large agression towards MIddle school, it was the worst 2 years of my life

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I am waiting to find out at what point American public schools STOP teaching spelling. My son is 6 and in the 2nd grade (hey, he's been advanced) and he takes killer spelling test each week. It's not uncommon for him to com home with 9 or 10 letter words, and he has 15 new words every week. I'm really proud of him, always gets a 102, which includes 2 bonus words.

Mark

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm 16 now. My hand writing is that of a second grader at best except with some more script in with it. When i was in elementary school we had 15-20words a day out of the spelling book. In middle school we had spelling as part of our reading class that was pretty much just spelling class but with stories. Up until about my freshman year of high school [i'm a sophmore] my teacher had always told my parents that i have such a large vocabulary and speak such great grammar.

Now, i make spelling errors a bit more frequently that i'm accounting to the fact that we don't practice it that much anymore and that my just grammar usage has changed as the cliques form. Example: in middle school i was the stereotypical preppy follower; at the start of my 8th grade year i was doubling on cello and bass guitar nearly every day.

From that point on i just started to go a different direction from the rest of the kids. Now, i'm what is usually considered a band nerd in that i play bass for at least 3 hours a day [1hr 30mins in school then usually 1-3hrs of rehearsels or up to 4hrs of practice at home] and wear what i feel comfortable in which is usually jeans w/a sweater, bassist t-shirt, reg. t-shirt etc.

To conclude with something on topic-i do agree that spelling ability has decreased significantly. Thats all

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    you think that's bad....my little brother..(10, in year 6:p ) got 4 hours off school to watch some football match last summer. He didn't stay home though, the school had a big ass projector and showed the match during lesson time AND gave them biscuits :( :( :(

I guess I'm just bitter because my school didn't do that.

8. oh, wow!
    i'm kinda greatful Canada is slow, that wont catch on here for a while...i really think that sucks...before you know it walls will be computers and grafity will not exist! AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I spent 10 years teaching mostly junior high students (ages 12-14). I cannot express how happy I am not to have to face that everyday! The spelling I saw was unbelievable. I had my students send letters to penpals in Uganda, and I was ashamed when the Ugandan letters arrived with better spelling and grammar.

My 12-year-old daughter spells up a storm, however!

10. Funniest response I've ever seen ! :D :D :D

11. That's kinda funny in a really scary way.

What did your students do when they read those letters?

12. The first time I remember having this discussion was in 1975....

There are lots of reasons why spelling etc are getting worse. True, computers have wrecked handwriting to an extent.

But a major reason that spelling always seems to get worse is that most 25 year olds can spell better than they could when they were 15 even if they have not been at school for those ten years. And they often don't realise how much they have improved in that decade.

And another reason is that the world demands a higher level of literacy now than it used to do, so the lacks are more apparent.

There are other reasons for a more general underachievement in education, which range from bad school organisation and ineffectively deployed teachers (you can not teach well when you are in class from morning till night) to dreary, standardised meaningless 'instructional programmes' and lousy, superficial, over-long disorganised and dull textbooks. And, perhaps, most importantly, the perceived irrelevance of what is taught and to be learned to the realities of life.

13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Parrot, my students' reaction was interesting. They looked at the careful penmanship and correct grammar and spelling, and had a hard time fitting it into their mind's-eye-view of Africa. For most of my students, it was considered very uncool to like school, so many of their letters were attempts to appear "cool". The Ugandans expressed love for school, and their English was clearly better. It turned out to be a great lesson, I think.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have to agree with SMASH on this one. Most native English speakers never realize how retarded the English language is.

15. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I agree with that.

Just another thing to add to the thought mix: My friends and I have all noticed that since we have been taking Spanish (where everthing is spelt exactly how it sounds) we have been getting worse at English. I'm currently in my 5 year of Spanish.

16. When I was in grade one we would have weekly spelling tests and whoever had the best mark got to go to McDonalds. Good thing I have a fast metabolism. In grade 3 we had a math contest, and after winning consecutively for 30 minutes the teacher gave me a cookie and told me to sit outside until the rest of the class was done playing. Now I'm in college and I'm only above average...damn. ;);)

17. Sometimes the English language makes no sense, but there are some rules that people seem unaware of. My silly Dutch last name end with "Wekken", but anytime solicitors call they always pronounce it "Weeken". If there was only one 'k' it would be understandable, but since there are two, the vowel sound is flat. Do you pronounce 'ladder' - 'lay-der'?

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I find that odd. In my experience (so far only one-and-a-half years of Spanish--out of two), I think I am learning a bit more about English grammar and some spelling.

I wouldn't have been able to tell you the difference between "preterite" (simple past?) and "imperfect" tenses before last year, when I didn't have Spanish II.

And English, while technically a Germanic language, it is heavily influenced by Latin, a Romance language, what with the Saxons and the Normans.
    (although an article in my local newspaper yesterday claimed it was in fact a Romance language.... warrants a letter to the editor!)

So a reason why some English words are difficult to spell are the endings. "Does this word end in '-ant,' '-ent,' or '-int'?"

Well, part of this confusion is becuase of the Latin-influenced aspects of the language. In Latin and Romance languages such as Spanish (or French or Romanian), there are three classes of verbs: those that end in "-ar," "-er," "-ir."

Learning these Spanish (or French or whathaveyou) verbs should help one with spelling these tricky words. :bassist:

19. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I agree with you to an extent. I have been learning a whole lot about similar roots and word derivations. But my english spelling has gotten worse and this is the conclusion that my friends and I have arrived at.

:meh: