1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bailed BEFORE the audition (advanced quitting techniques)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GlennW, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    There've been many threads asking how to quit a band.

The individual reasons are endless, but often one or more of a few common denominators are present; personality conflicts, egos, musical direction, levels of musicianship and commitment, da rama, etc.

The usual dilemma concerns the amount of time/effort already expended versus possible future rewards (gigs, money, etc). You can save a lot of time and aggravation with the following technique.

Proactive Quitting

IOW, you quit before you start. It's a win/win. You get the instant gratification of quitting WITHOUT enduring all the associated hassles of being in a band. You'll have more energy, walk taller, and boost your self-confidence.

Warning:
    Don't confuse Proactive Quitting with Blind Quitting, where you just bail. With Proactive Quitting you have to do some research on the band in order to make an informed decision.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I already quit all of your bands....... twice.

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    So in other words, get the gossip on the band and then don't bother meeting them?
    What's next? Guess everyone will think your thread is shallow and decide to just not post it.

4. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser

Sep 15, 2011
    South Cackalacky
    I have nothing to disclose at this time.
    blink_zpsebf4aa02.

5. My method is to join the band (w/telling anyone) then fire everyone, then quit and start another band

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No, you check out the bands' website and see if what's there coincides with what you've been told in emails and over the phone. If it doesn't they're lying, and you email them and say they'd be better off with someone else (unless you want to get involved with someone who lies from the beginning).

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My method is to not even schedule the audition in the first place, and just assume I don't want to be in any band.

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I don't want to be part of any band that would include a no talent hack bass player like me. I would not want to even listen to a band that would be stupid enough to have me as a bass player.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    My point was to investigate what you might be getting into. It can save you a lot of time.

Their website shows a 6-piece band; two guitars, drums, bass, male singer, female singer.

The guy didn't mention any personel changes, I figured that out myself.
    According to the BL/rhythm guitar player:
    The drummer is fantastic (not the guy on the website, he didn't mention that).
    The lead guitar player is great (not the guy on the website, he didn't mention that).
    Female singer is gone, but he's looking for another one.
    Male singer is there...don't know if it's the same guy.
    Bass player is gone, obviously.

So out of 6 there are 4 left, and 2 (maybe 3) are new.

And the clincher...a couple weeks ago the BL/rhythm guitar player was looking to join a band.

I don't know what it looks like to you, but I know what it looks like to me.

10. I prefer pre-emptive firing.

For example, I have already decided to fire several members of this forum, without having ever met them. They don't even know they've failed my mental audition, and aren't aware of what a bunch of asshats I think they are (it's against forum rules for me to tell them, anyway, at least how I would tell them to their faces).

Some of them continue to amuse me with their posts, though.

11. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Why bother? Just turn up, jam with them and if you don't like it, politely refuse. No need for the carry on.

12. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Oh, are you one of these people who wants to walk in and have a fabulous, pre made band? Did you ask the questions? Why not just turn up to the audition instead of being a child about it?!

13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Did you understand what I wrote?

This is supposed to be an established band that needs a bass player.

Instead, the BL himself was looking to get into another band a couple weeks ago, and this band has 1 or 2 members remaining of the 6 shown on their website.

Maybe I should take your idea, and just hire a bass player to learn the 8-10 songs and go audition.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's it!

hire other bass players to go join bands! the bands pay you, you pay the bass players a little less than you get, you stay home and make money; genius :D

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    In a perfect world...maybe.

But these are modern times...I'll keep all the money and the bass players can play for exposure. :D

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I did this with two whole bands in the late 80s and early 90s. I started the bands and was the bass player. I quit performing with both bands and kept booking them both (until internal drama got the best of both). I was also playing in a third band that I didn't book while I (somewhat) owned the other two.

17. Yeah, I don't get this either. When I see a band flyer or website, that's who I'm expecting to see on the stage, bar one fill-in maybe. Spent eighteen months with a band who had another guys picture and basslines in their promo. It's like you don't even exist. Transient. If a BL is re-building, say so. Don't pretend to have something you don't. Nothing worse than rocking up to an audition thinking its a full lineup, only to find they are missing a vocalist, lead guitarist and drummer. And oh, maybe they want to have an entire new set list excluding the six song syou just learned...and new market...and new genre oh and throw some originals in maybe...lol

PS - I was MetallicA's bassist between Jason and Rob. They just never got the memo :bag:

18. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Maybe i didn't understand what you wrote. What i do understand is that being a prat about things, eg, emailing somebody to tell them you'd rather go work with somebody else is stupid, as well as making assumptions about BL wanting to join other band and "what that means". What that means is what it means to you, ie, how you're reading it. If you want to know the facts, best thing to do would be to ask. If you don't want to work with someone, just move on. It seems like you are wasting a lot of time talking about a band you do not want to be in.

19. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    This is my last post in this thread, and I'll try to be crystal clear so you can understand it.

re: the bolded parts

1) emailing somebody to tell them I'd rather work with somebody else is stupid

I said "after looking at their set list they would be better off with someone else. Good luck and thanks for your consideration." That's called bowing out gracefully, not "stupid."

2) assumptions about the BL wanting to join another band

I made that assumption because he ran an ad saying he wanted to join a band. I guess that was a stupid assumption on my part.

3) what it means

What it means is he's misrepresenting this band by acting like it's something it isn't...all hat and no cattle.

4) wasting a lot of time talking

I agree with you on that, and that's my own fault, but it's far less time wasted than learning a bunch of songs and going to an audition for a start-up band which is being passed off an established band.

The whole point of this thread was that it's a good idea to check out what you might be getting into.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a prat and an asshat. **** y'all.

20. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Glenn - I always check out that background stuff like you and agree, they should be upfront that they are in total reform mode. Sometimes people don't want to admit they are in reforming mode as they know so many "want to ride the train but don't want to help lay the track".

I usually like to have as bit of conversation with 1-2 of the more active members of a group before getting myself all geeked up on their group. I spent a few weeks mentally considering this guy's band startup recently, but his Facebook comments (he wanted to friend me) made it clear to me we were (a)180 degrees apart on political issues and (b)in disagreement on the best-case goal of the band.