Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baisic differences between types of strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 6, 2001.

1. What are the essential differences in tyres of bass strings? I haven't been playing too long and there are still a lot of things like this that I don't know. Thanks for your help.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My bass doesn't have tyres. :D Seriously, though, there are several types of bass strings:

Nickel roundwound- these are probably the most popular. Generally made of steel with a nickel plating applied. They tend to have a warmer sound than stainless strings.

Stainless roundwound- These are the brightest sounding, although some, like DR Lo-Riders, can be pretty warm as well.

Nickel or Stainless flatwound- these are actually the coolest strings available. ;) Warm, deep and thumpy. Not so hot for slapping, although Larry Graham did use them some early on.

Half-round- usually a roundwound that has been ground down to a smooth or semi-smooth surface. Has some of the "ring" of rounds, but feels smooth.

Tapewound- Warm and dark. A metal core with a nylon wrap that attempts to approximate a string-bass type tone.

There are others, and variations of the ones listed, but I think these are the main types.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Flatwound gave a good overview to you. I'll jut add, go to http://www.bassplayer.com , click on "Gear" and on that page is a link to an article, "The Controversial World of String Design." It will tell you more than you'll probaly want to know. But it is especially interesting because it points out how even the experts can't agree on so many aspects of strings.

Are you satisfied with the strings you have?