1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bajo Sexto

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wehner, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
    Anyone play a Mexican Bajo Sexto (or Bajo Quinto)? I am a bit fascinated by those and plan on buying one, when I go to New York in June.

Can they be played fingerstyle? I am rubbish with a pick.

Any experience from bass guitarists playing these folk instruments would be appreciated.

Bajo Sexto:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4XXASGYroY

2. I'm intrigued by these instruments as well. How are they tuned?

3. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
  4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    An old friend & college roommate of mine had a Bajo Sexto that I used for a few studio sessions way back when. Yes you can play it with your fingers. They're tuned like a 12-string guitar, albeit 8vb: paired octave courses, E-A-D-G-B-E

Since I wasn't using it for authentic Mexican music I can't really offer any insight into how the instrument is traditionally played, but from my perspective it was a weird, folksy, interesting-but-not-distinctive-enough-to-be-unique sound.

5. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
    The beautiful thing is that the two highest strings are actually tuned C-F so it is tuned in quarters all the way up, which my bass player brain can understand. I am happy to hear that fingerstyle is feasible - I was worried about the narrow string spacing.

6. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
    One more specific thing I wonder - is it loud enough that you can play along with an acoustic guitar and be heard? Many normal abg's aren't that loud.

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    You'll be heard better than most ABGs simply because the octave strings allow your lines to cut through better. It's not gonna provide the firm, corpulent low end foundation that an upright bass does, but for shade-tree jam sessions it's fine.