Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bakithi Kumalo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thebug, Apr 3, 2002.

1. I was listening to Paul Simon's Graceland yesterday and noticed what an awesome (fretless) bassist this Bakithi Kumalo guy actually is, can anyone here give me some more info about him? On what other albums does he play?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out www.boneinthenose.com

If you search this site, you should find some threads/posts about Kumalo...I recall X-Man & myself locked in a conversation dealing with San Bonan(one of Kumalo's solo discs).

BTW, I'm pretty sure Kumalo also played on some of the tracks on the album post-Graceland.
    ...Rhythm Of The Saints?

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    He also contributed some awesome basslines with Steve Gadd on Eileen Ivers Crossing the Bridge album (my God the man plays Irish trad better than most 'professional' trad bassists I've heard)

4. One day I saw this old tape from the Pori Jazz festival, somewhere from the 80's (although he was young back then, he was already amazing ;) ), and mr Kumalo was performing with some kind of an african group. On the tape he played a 5-string fretless Modulus Quantum and a 4-string Fender P-bass deluxe lyte. Does any one of you have any idea which make of basses does BK play nowadays? :confused:

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    He plays a Washburn sig.

6. To be truthful, that answer doesn't quite satisfy me... :confused: Does anyone have a complete list of BK's equipment? I didn't find it in the Bone in the nose website...:oops:

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    He is truly wicked! Ive always said if you go to a show and there is a black dude on bass with a funny hat on he is going to be awsome!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, I hope you don't excpect to sound like him just by owning the same gear.

10. After playing for about 14 years and having developed my own styles of playing and tone, I don't think so!:D I just want to know what kind of basses he is playing nowadays... and the fact that "he plays a wasbburn sig" doesn't offer me much info.:cool:

11. If you ask me, I think Jauqo owes you an apology for his oh so inadequate reply. Say, maybe we can get him banned from the forums. :rolleyes:

(I could add a bit more info about BK's equipment, but I'm not sure the info will "satisfy" you since it might not be a complete list, and I wouldn't want to offend you.)

12. And why oh why do I feel the cold sensation of irony there? :D
    I just want to know which basses Bakithi Kumalo plays. Is it so bloody hard to understand ?! I know for sure that he has more basses than "a washburn sig".
    Well, I'll have to ask the man himself! That will take more time though...

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Oh Im sneaking this one in since my days hear are numbered :) Xavier G I tryed to help Jzkorppi,but I hope that the next time I see Bikithi Kumalo that I dont get my *** beat by him for only mentioning that he plays a Washburn Sig and that it was not more indepht info for Jzkorppi who to me and I may be wrong sounded like he didnt appreciate what was given.

14. Ok, case closed, calm down...:)

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Its Kool its all in FUN

16. :D

(Don't mind me, I'm just a sarcastic S.O.B. .)

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I know :)

18. Well whaddayaknow..... the writeup says he plays a Washburn Sig bass. You learn something new everyday. You need to take notes, Jauqo.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I hold my head down in shame.how will I ever repay you guys :)