1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bakithi Kumalo's Fretless Bass confirmed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Feb 28, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    There's always been a bit of confusion about his fretless bass he played with Paul Simon on Graceland. I always maintained it is a Washburn B-40, even tho there are references to it as an SB-40 or even something else. Even Bakithi called it an SB once.
    I just found out, confirmed in interview himself in the following book from 2008:

Bass Player (magazine) Presents The Fretless Bass, pub 2008 by BackBeat/Hal Leonard Corp, edited by Chris Lisi, foreward by Pino Palladino. On page 30, in Bakithi's interviewed chapter they lay out his gear. It is: Washburn B-40 fretless, Joey G fretless 4 -string, Killer B fretted 6-string, Modulus 5-string, DR Hi-Beam strings, Aguilar amps.

So there it is---Washburn B-40!
    Whew!
    Also In the book, BRAVE NEW BASS from Bass Players Library, pub 2003 Hal Leonard Corp, foreward by Anthony Jackson,page 187 Bakithi says he bought the B-40 fretless because it was the cheapest bass in the store (still in S. Africa before Paul picked him up) as nobody could play it.

2. to change the title go to "edit" and then click on "go advanced" button

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thanks for the tip-=Done!

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Thanks! Now I can sleep at night.:p

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wouldn't exactly say its definitive either. Bass Player is known for screwing up small details like that.

I remember they had an article about Justin Chancellor that talked about his rig. It was completely wrong.

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Bakithi himself talks about it in the interview. Besides, the knob/switch layout gives it away anyhow.