1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Balance Knob/Treble Bleed Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    With a Volume Balance Tone layout on a Jazz, would I want to put a treble bleed circuit on each half of the balance knob (one per pickup) AND one on the volume pot?

To keep arguments to a minimum, let's agree that I do want a treble bleed circuit so the tone doesn't get dark when I turn the volume down. So that said, am I on the right track?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't do knobs anymore but I recall about a year ago on guitarelectronics.com in thier custom wiring section they had a Fender J bass wiring diagram involving the balance control that compensated for something - don't remember if it was volume (which I thing it was actually) or tone. And it seems they've changed the site some last time I was on it. I used to have a hard copy of it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Update: found the hard copy but doesn't state what it's supposed to accomplish. I'll go to guitarelectronics when I get a chance.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

here's the guitarelectronics link. They have changed their site some and now they don't tell you what the wiring was supposed to accomplish.

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUJBASS1

Smash had a thread on cap mods so you can do a search and find it. Seems like it was front page recently so it may just be a couple, three back about now.