Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balance Knob/Treble Bleed Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    With a Volume Balance Tone layout on a Jazz, would I want to put a treble bleed circuit on each half of the balance knob (one per pickup) AND one on the volume pot?

To keep arguments to a minimum, let's agree that I do want a treble bleed circuit so the tone doesn't get dark when I turn the volume down. So that said, am I on the right track?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't do knobs anymore but I recall about a year ago on guitarelectronics.com in thier custom wiring section they had a Fender J bass wiring diagram involving the balance control that compensated for something - don't remember if it was volume (which I thing it was actually) or tone. And it seems they've changed the site some last time I was on it. I used to have a hard copy of it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Update: found the hard copy but doesn't state what it's supposed to accomplish. I'll go to guitarelectronics when I get a chance.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

here's the guitarelectronics link. They have changed their site some and now they don't tell you what the wiring was supposed to accomplish.

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUJBASS1

Smash had a thread on cap mods so you can do a search and find it. Seems like it was front page recently so it may just be a couple, three back about now.