balance of Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 23, 2002.

1. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    i thought that the balance of bass was pretty important, when it's played sitting and standing. but today i went to a guitar store and i think all the fender basses' neck was heavier than the body. so it didn't give me anything near to 45 degree playing position. or Fenders are made that way and sound good? i am looking for j or p bass american made.
  2. Well, I've owned a 78 P-bass, an 89 MIJ Jazz, and a 00 MIA Jazz.

Balance has never been a problem for me.

The one thing I've noticed about Fenders, though, is that they are generally in dire need of a thorough setup when you first get them. I bought my MIA off eBay a couple of weeks ago. It was decent when it arrived, but I paid $60 to get it setup properly (the neck was a bit bowed, and other things needed a decent amount of adjustment), and I'm happy to say this bass plays better than any other Fender I've played, and better than some high end basses I've played, too.
  3. tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    Personally, I can't stand anything that doesn't balance well on a strap. IMO, the best balancing Fenders are the American Deluxe models. There are P and J versions. Otherwise, I've generally had better luck finding J basses that balance properly on a strap.

Lack of balance does not equal good sound. It's not too much to want good sound and good balance in one instrument.
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a '75 Jazz and a 92' Precision. If I use Levy 3/5" strap, balance is OK, but with a whimpier strap, they tend to be neck-heavy, though not too much.

On my Warmoth Jazz, I located the back straplock to be in line with the top of the bridge, and this gae me really good balance.
  5. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I agree. I have an American made , ash body/maple neck Precision (the hot-rodded one) and that suffers from slight nose dive. But if you get a wide suede (or similar non-slip material) lined strap I think you'll find the bass will sit at 45 degrees ok.
  6. According to the bass history, I don't think that Fenders are unplayable ...
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The thing about Fenders is they're so damn heavy. I've got a Jazz copy that was the same, playing it standing up for longer than a few songs was really uncomfortable.

Or maybe I'm just a weakling :)
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Some Fenders are heavy, but many are not. As far as I know, only some 70s Fenders made from northern ash are real heavy. Both of mine are under 10lbs.
  9. The weight is quite relative. After having played my Warwick for hours, the Jazz feels very light. But if then I take my RBX260 the Fender seems very heavy ...
    But with contoured body I think that the Jazz is very comfortable, even if it's not the lightest bass in the world.
    Actually, since I have my Pedulla Rapture, I don't play my Jazz 62 Reissue anymore. If someone is looking for a Jazz feeling (for the neck, the sound, and the beautiful Tobacco sunburst with red tortoise pickguard) I suggest hime to try a Rapture.
    No neck dive at all, the neck is better than the Jazz, and the sound is KILLER.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My '97 American Standard Jazz V is a bit neck heavy, but a nice thick strap helps a lot. Also, back then they used small light Gotoh tuners to reduce neck dive, and it helps. I'm sure the modern ones with more traditional "Fender" style tuners are much worse.