1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

balance on the ASAT

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by ladyonthebass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ladyonthebass

ladyonthebass

Mar 4, 2008
    Anybody got info on the balance of an ASAT bass? I'm wondering if it is neck heavy and needs an extender to stay in place when you remove your hands.

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    The extender helped me personally. My ASAT solid body now balances like a normal bass. Without it the neck dive was not a show stopper but it was irritating and made reaching the first fret more of a stretch.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    The dive doesn't really bother me much...I also own a t-bird & I feel about the same in regards to that bass as well. A wider strap will help. The reach is a little bit of an issue, but all of my basses have their own quirks/character -- you just adapt.
    ASATs just look so damn cool!

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't have a neck dive problem with mine. I refer to it as more of a balancing out. The bass has a different balance point. I also use a 4" wide strap.

5. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    ^^ +1

No issues here either.

6. The long reach to the first fret is the reason I ended up getting an L2000 instead of the ASAT.

They don't have terrible neckdive, but I noticed some when trying one out.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The L2000 has the same electronics package, and no neck divey issues.
    The solid body ones tend to be less divey than the semi-hollows.

ASATman no longer makes his strap extender dealios.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I believe that ASATman's strap extender was for the 3 bolt neck and now with the six bolt there doesn't seem to be an easy fix (for those that believe there's a neck dive problem). My ASAT is a semi-hollow body one and I don't really have any issue with neck dive. I have an old Pedulla and THAT had serious neck dive issues.

9. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    My strap's fairly thin, no noticeable neck dive, solid or semi-hollow. Strap 'em on somebody else though, and who knows what you'll get. I believe the player's build factors into this equation to some degree.

10. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I don't have any issues with neck dive with either the solid or semi hollow body ASAT's. Like mentioned it's just a bit of a different balance point, they hang different. The sound, feel and look of ASAT's are incredible. A great bass!