Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balance Problem

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by TCraine, Mar 3, 2006.

1. TCraine

TCraine

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey all,

My new bass, an Romainan Hybrid seems very hard to get balanced against my body.

I am 6' 1/2" tall, bass is 3/4. I have to extend my end pin all the way out to get the nut to the proper height for playing.

It seems I have to hold the neck alot more since I just cannot feel the bass staying balanced against me.

The end pin rod is hollow, with maybe a 3/4" rubber end on it.

Not sure if it just me, or does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance...

Thom

2. Seems odd you'd have to put your end pin out that far. I'm only a little shorter than you, and I usually run mine only a few inches out, to get my nut a little above eye level. I imagine your problem is most likely that your bass is tilted at a big angle, and maybe you're too much into the side of the instrument, rather than slightly behind? You might try lowering the pin, getting the bass much more vertical and getting a little bit behing the bass. That way most the weight goes down to the floor, and the bass should balance a little better. If anything, when I'm playing in lower positions and standing my bass is probably borderline leaning foward, into my left hand fingers, instead or back against my thumb. Others could probably offer more advice; a picture is worth a thousand words here, too. (Oh, and standard disclaimer: Ask your teacher!) :p

3. TCraine

TCraine

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks for the tips.

I am bringing my new bass to my teacher on Tuesday, so that will be one of the first questions I have for him.

I figured I would just get used to this new bass a little before going to my lesson on Tuesday.

I need to take some pics anyways, so I will get my wife to take one of me holding it, and post.

Thanks again...

Thom

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get pictures of you playing it from all angles.

5. TCraine

TCraine

Mar 2, 2006
    I think my problem has been solved.:hyper:

Going back, and reading some of the newbie threads, I found it discussed about getting good balance.

Worked on it off and on yesterday by taking my bass of it's stand, positioning, and then letting it rest softly against me.

Did this at several parts of my abdomen, and then made a conscience effort to feel how much tension my thumb was putting on the FB.

Finally found the sweet spot:D My end pin is still is 6 notches out, the nut is in the right spot for me, and I do not feel that I have to actually hold the bass with my left hand anymore.

Guess I should have done this before getting all flustered and asking a semi-dumb question.

I am sure you all know how it is when you meet a new girl, you just have to take your time, and get to know what SHE wants.....LOL

Thanks alot.

Thom

6. TCraine

TCraine

Mar 2, 2006
    I meant thumb on the neck...not FB

Doom A$$ here..lol:rollno:

Thanks again for the info....

Thom