1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Balance your plank on a plank

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Root vegetable, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Root vegetable

Root vegetable

Jun 1, 2012
    Supplementary to the 'how much does your bass weigh' thread, I would like to start a 'how does your bass balance?' thread. Post a picture of your jazz and/or precision bass balanced on as narrow a plank as you dare, like in the picture below, along with a note of it's weight, or if you haven't got a picture, just mention the fret number around which your bass is in equilibrium.

This is my c.1979 Precision neck, Poplar body, original tuners but with the chromed steel barrels replaced with hardwood. Weight: 8lbs 4oz.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      289.3 KB
      Views:
  2. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    I may do this when I get pics of my new Marcus Miller. Great idea.
    Also, what's up with the tuners on that thing?!

3. I don't know about all that balancing stuff, but I just gotta say i'm loving the look of your bass.

4. Root vegetable

Root vegetable

Jun 1, 2012
    You know how it is...I was a fairly contented player of a 10lb bass until I started lurking on forums like this. I've had this neck for 30 years...last year I made that Poplar body and ended up with neck dive, so, skinflint that I am, I replaced the barrels of the tuners with wooden ones, which restored the balance of the instrument to something I was comfortable with. As a result of my experiments, I suspect that it is not possible to have an 8lb Fender with original tuners and no neck dive, which is why I would like to see pictures!

nickrs540......Thanks.