1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Balanced, Med Scale, Acc & Elec?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mchlstrt, Jan 15, 2005.

1. mchlstrt

mchlstrt

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm playing Doghouse-style Slap on a couple of Resonator Basses, a fretless National & a fretted Regal. They both call for 34-1/2 to 35-1/2 ish windings.

The usual floppy E to tight D & G approach is causing me trouble. I'm looking for tensional balance, or even lighter in the high end.

I was excited about LaBella for the Electrics because they make a range of guages, but the set of DTB Flats I got had windings from 34-5/8 down to 33(?). Anyone know if this is their standard? I've heard good things about them from people I respect so maybe my question was incoherent.

I'd like to keep accoustics on the National. There's even less info available on Bronze Strings regarding tension & scale length. It seems some folks feel they're soft enough to just cut & wrap, & since these were the only strings TI didn't specify scale for I 'assumed' (& you know what that makes me) this might be the case with them. The package says otherwise, & they feel like it would probably be a bad idea.

Imagoankrazy, & I welcome (almost) any thoughts or info.

Thanks

strt