1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Balanced out on Ampeg combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonahTheAmazing, Aug 25, 2012.

1. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I am looking for a smaller combo amp with a balanced output to make recording easier. I have been browsing the BA series of Ampeg combos and I can't tell which ones have the DI out and which ones don't. I assume these cheap things would be all around the TB community, so I came to you guys for the down low.

Also, if any of you have experience with them, is it even worth my time to find an amp equipped with a DI out, or should I just buy a DI and amp separate?

2. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I had an ampeg b3 combo (still do tho it stopped working). I love the tone of it but the balanced DI out was kind of buzzy, some places very noisy and others not so bad. Never had this problem with the SWR combos I used to have or the little mark II that I have now. Might have been just my amp of course.
    I'm not sure I would bother worrying about a built in DI. Places that have their own PA will have their own DI they can use, and external DI boxes are not expensive at all.