Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balanced output?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ulf_kurt, Feb 25, 2001.

1. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Many amps have these balanced outputs. Whats the real difference? How do they work?

thankful for answers

2. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I assume you mean the XLR type outputs. They are for direct signal to the mixing consule of the house PA system. It works like a DI box. A normal unbalanced 1/4 inch output works OK going to your speaker cabinets. But the impedance level will screw up the sound going to the house, so you need a balanced output for that.

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Since there are three conductors send, return, and ground there is much less signal loss over long runs of cable. The independent ground offers the ability to lift the ground to address ground loop induced hum.

The 1/4" phone (telephone switchboard) plug is a butt old design like turn of the last century. IMO it's served us (not very well) and should be phased out. This would open the door to balanced preamplifier designs. Do we really need costlier balanced preamps? Duno. But I can remember when the question was do you really need high frequency drivers in bass reproduction?

4. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Look at speakon twist lock connectors. They shoud use them on guitar cords.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't know if I would want that. I would rather my bass become unplugged than to pull my rack to the floor.

6. or a chunk get ripped out of my bass:eek:

wireless + locking connectors=ideal solution? (if you can live with wireless systems...)

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I can't imagin where there would be enough room for a Speakon on the body of the instrument.

IMO Speakons have a good locking system but not enough contact area and tha actual connector within there bodies is way to small. There's also no way of knowing if conductors are wired into the 1's or the 2's