1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Balanced Tension String Question for Adam

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by GK Growl, Mar 17, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Hello Adam! I can't say that I'm well versed on all your material but I am certainly a fan on what I have heard and seen :)

There is a lot of talk in the strings forum lately about balanced tension. I know that you are a D'Addarrio endorser and I believe you use the EXL170 sets (please correct me if I'm wrong). With that said, the balanced tension lovers say this is one of the most unbalanced string sets (15 lbs of difference between certain strings) yet when I watch you play it just looks effortless. I know D'Addario just released the new balanced tension EXL170BT sets and I'm curious as to whether you think balanced tension is really all it's cracked up to be. I think to have a balanced tension B string with EXL170 sets it would have to be at least a 145 gauge!! Your thoughts?

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi GK, thanks for your post, and thank you so much for your kind words!

yes, i do mostly use the exl170's. i got a chance to play the balanced tension strings while they were still in beta and i thought they were really good. having said that, it wasn't the type of difference that had me leaning towards changing out my current sets. i've been playing 'traditional' tension strings for a lot of years now so i've been used to them for a long time. i can't say that in my development i ever said to myself 'gee, i wish i had more balanced tension between each of my strings.' however, i recognize the advantages and think it's a great idea. i was a d'addario user for many years before i got an endorsement deal and i've always liked the feel and consistency of their nickel-wound string sets. they have also always set up well on all of my instruments i've put them on.

i hope that helps you somewhat. like i said they are a nice set of strings if you decide to try them. :)

adam

3. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for your honest response Adam! While I am not anywhere near the caliber of bassist that you are, I can't recall ever saying to myself that I wish I had more balanced tension either. I think before a lot of manufacturers started posting their tension data, most people were cool with it until they saw the tension numbers.