Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

balanced vs. un 4 short distances?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 13, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK I know that balanced cables are better for long runs.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I'm losing when I plug an unbalanced cable into a balanced jack? For short runs (like in a rack, or from the pedalboard to the rack), does it really matter, or should my rule of thumb be to go balanced whenever possible? Thanks!

2. For short runs, unbalanced isn't a problem. But to put an unbalanced into a balanced XLR, be sure to use an impedance matching transformer. The tone is affected if the impedance isn't balanced.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks. I guess my question is about impedance matching. If I have gear w/ 1/4" balanced outs (my preamp, my xover) and I use a regular cable to connect to gear w/ unbalanced ins (like a pedal), is the impedance ok or do I need an adapter?

4. 1/4 inch isn't balanced, it's a two-conductor plug, except for TRS plugs. 1/4 is always high-Z to the best of my knowledge.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I am talking about TRS balanced outputs.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you keep everything inside your rack chain unbalanced (1/4"), you shouldn't have a problem, although I THINK you get a little better "noise insurance" if you keep it all balanced. You will only have impedance mismatching problems if you use a 1/4" on one end plugging into a balanced XLR input on the other side, without using a matching transformer.

Personally, I used balanced XLR's inside my rack going from the pre to the power amp (less than a 4" run), even if I don't notice a difference in sound, its nice insurance to have a clicking, locking connection.

7. TRS isn't necesarily balanced. The tip can be a send and the ring a return in an effects patch configuration, or other possibilities exist.