balanced vs. un 4 short distances?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 13, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK I know that balanced cables are better for long runs.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I'm losing when I plug an unbalanced cable into a balanced jack? For short runs (like in a rack, or from the pedalboard to the rack), does it really matter, or should my rule of thumb be to go balanced whenever possible? Thanks!

2. For short runs, unbalanced isn't a problem. But to put an unbalanced into a balanced XLR, be sure to use an impedance matching transformer. The tone is affected if the impedance isn't balanced.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks. I guess my question is about impedance matching. If I have gear w/ 1/4" balanced outs (my preamp, my xover) and I use a regular cable to connect to gear w/ unbalanced ins (like a pedal), is the impedance ok or do I need an adapter?

5. 1/4 inch isn't balanced, it's a two-conductor plug, except for TRS plugs. 1/4 is always high-Z to the best of my knowledge.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I am talking about TRS balanced outputs.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you keep everything inside your rack chain unbalanced (1/4"), you shouldn't have a problem, although I THINK you get a little better "noise insurance" if you keep it all balanced. You will only have impedance mismatching problems if you use a 1/4" on one end plugging into a balanced XLR input on the other side, without using a matching transformer.

Personally, I used balanced XLR's inside my rack going from the pre to the power amp (less than a 4" run), even if I don't notice a difference in sound, its nice insurance to have a clicking, locking connection.

8. TRS isn't necesarily balanced. The tip can be a send and the ring a return in an effects patch configuration, or other possibilities exist.