Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balanced vs. Unbalanced for TASCAM

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Just made a few test passes with my new Tascam 414mkII and could use some advice about hooking it up to my amp direct. Firstly, my amp (svt-cl) offers two different "lines out" and both are described in the manual as capable of feeding an external amp, mixing console, or PA (but nothing is mentioned about a recording device). One is marked "balanced" (three prongs) and the other is marked "preamp out" (standard 1/4). Any of you have experience with which is best to use to record in a 4-track situation? The Tascam manual (and yes I read it cover to cover already;)) gives no detail on these options.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Given the choice, always go with a balanced signal, because it reduces the occurence of hum and noise in the line, and supports running the signal over long distances.

If you're talking less than 10 feet though, it doesn't really make much difference in a 4 track setting.