1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Balanced XLR Mic level and impedance to unblanced jack intrument level and impedance adapter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Jun 28, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I got one of these:
    voicetone-double.

And I thought the single voice octave up and down effects might make for a cool bass octaver (mainly thinking of using it in single voice octave up mode).

The thing is that both inputs and outputs are balanced XLR connections at Microphone level and impedance so in order for it to work I need some kind of adapter.

All in all 2 adaptors that goes from male unbalanced mono jack at instrument level and impedance to balanced respectively female XLR and male XLR at microphone level and impedance.

To be exact the specifications on the unit and the inputs and outputs is as follows:

Analog Inputs Š Connectors:
    Balanced XLR,Input Impedance 1kOhm Š Mic Input Sensitivity @ 0dBFS -44dBu to +2dBu Š Mic Input Sensitivity @ 12dB headroom -56dBu to -10dBu Š EIN -128dBu @ max.mic amp gain,Rg = 150 Ohm

Analog Outputs Š Connectors:
    Balanced XLR Š Output Impedance 40 Ohm Š Output Level @ 0dBFS +2dBu

Input to Output Analog Audio Performance:
    ŠDynamic Range,Mic.@ Min gain >108dB,20 Hz - 20kHz *A-weighted Š
    Dynamic Range,Mic.@ -18dBu sensitivity > 104dB,20hz - 20kHz* ŠTHD+ Noise,Mic.@ Min gain <-90dB Š
    Frequency Response, max gain -1.5dB @ 40 Hz, +0/-0.3 dB (200Hz to 20 kHz)

Another question is, as it seems that the dynamic range seems to decrease in the low frequencies as gain is increased, if anyone can see from above specs if it would even be viable as a bass octaver?

Anyway, in case it is, what is the simplest and cheapest way to achieve work around the impedance and level differences between my bass and this unit and the unit and my bass amp?