1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Balancing Act review in Bass Guitar magazine

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Beav, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Anyone checked out the reviews in the new Bass Guitar Magazine? They're a dual bassist group. However, it's not the typical bass group. It's real music and not wanky over the top noise. I've heard these guys and I really dig their stuff. I don't have the CD yet, but I plan on picking it up. They've got some clips on their site - www.balancingactmusic.com

2. nastyfunk4

nastyfunk4

Apr 10, 2006
    San Diego
    I read the review and checked out the site...what a great band!!! Haven't heard tunes like that in a long time; and the bass tone is nasty - hard to believe there are two basses playing. What's these guys' story?

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to be telling all my friends....

3. I hope you're not reffering to Bass Extremes:D

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Matt and Cameron are amazing musicians and people/friend. Very cool and down to earth hard worker's... and actually pretty young, both still in their 20's. They are starting to play and tour around the west coast.

they also had good things to say about Jay Terrien's CD who is a TB member here. http://www.jayterrien.com

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah man. Matt is a super cool dude! Met him at Low Down Sound in Detroit. Very down to earth and very nice. He's kind of a lurker here on TB. Just lets his music do the talkin. I found there Myspace site a long time ago...and we just happened to bump into each other there at LDS. Small world.

6. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Matt is a friend of mine and a great bass player! He's got incredible chops, but he also knows all about playing with groove and soul...he's one of my favorite players.

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I met Matt at a TB GTG and he seemed like a great guy. You'd never know he had so much soul :D

8. nastyfunk4

nastyfunk4

Apr 10, 2006
    San Diego
    Wow, I'm stoked to hear that they're down to earth cats! Not an easy thing to find these days...

I think I found them on myspace, www.myspace.com/balancingactmusic

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Like Beav, I met Matt at Brian's LowEnd GTG, the weekend after we all got back from NAMM. The CD is amazing, I encourage all TB'ers to pick it up. Very tasteful and extremely musical!

10. Wow, I just checked out the song clips, and it definitely has a great vibe to it.

It's like you can't even tell there's two basses playing at some parts, which to me is very tasteful. It's like the instruments were used as an ensemble, and not just to slap you in the face. Very mature for some young guys.

Skip

11. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    exactly...and the great thing is that both matt and cameron have tremendous chops, but they don't feel the need to hit you over the head with them!

12. They are two up and coming, gifted players for sure! ;)

Here's the Bass Guitar Magazine Review:
    http://grasstain.com/images/ATDITSP/BGM ATDITSP_TALL.jpg

Modern Drummer (They seem to love GROOVE in that mag!):
    http://grasstain.com/images/ATDITSP/MDM_WIDE.jpg

Matt and Cameron could set up some interesting shows with "Ninja Academy" in the West Coast (I saw them open for a Mike Watt/Banyan gig):
    http://ninjaacademy.com/news.php

;)

13. nastyfunk4

nastyfunk4

Apr 10, 2006
    San Diego
    Does anyone know if I can pick up the CD anywhere other than the website?

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    You may wana call Low Down Sound in Detroit...I think he dropped a few off there the day I was in.

15. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I know Cameron. He's from my my hometown in Virginia.
    I met him at some bass GTG's here a few years ago. Man...
    so young and SO talented. I knew he was going places back
    then. He is a very nice guy (his dad is too).
    I have got to get a copy of the CD soon.

Dan

16. Any ideas how they're pulling off some of that technical stuff? Rubber B-man is great. how many bass tracks are there you think?

17. mattwhenninger

mattwhenninger

May 3, 2004
    I don't even know how to thank you all for the kind words... they mean more to me than I can ever express! The support Cameron and I have recieved has been unbelievable...from the bottom of my heart it means the world.

If you have a few minutes our CD has been reviewed in this month's Bass Player Magazine too....

http://www.bassplayer.com/spotlight.asp?navcode=244

Thanks again for everything!! You guys are keeping us going for sure!

Stay well,

Matt

18. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Congrats on all the success Matt! You're very deserving. I still need to get some lessons from you!!!

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I rermember that one with the single cut Benevente. Great guy, down to earth and honest.

20. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    :hyper:

Going to order one tonight!:bassist: