Balancing dry and effected signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Oct 14, 2002.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm coming at this with overdrive in mind but it could apply to other effects too. With an overdrive should you be effecting the whole signal? This would make the balance control on the ODB3 obsolete. Surely the whole idea of overdrive is to drive, but by keeping in much of the original signal the drive would be very weak. Many other overdrives pedals, Big Muff, Nobels ODR-B and Ibanez PD7 to mention just 3 don't mix clean and dirty signals but maybe they have the right idea, they drive the whole signal If you drive an amp you drive all of it, not just some of the signal.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean so I'm going to give a shotgun answer.

Back before effects were tweaked for bass use some players got around the 'weak sounding' problem by splitting the signal and blending wet/dry signals. I believe that Bootsy runs different signal chains from his 5 pickup bass, some clean some with a big muff.

There's a thread on Steve Lawson's forum where the bassist runs a split signal clean/distorted to great effect.

The only pedal that does it to my knowledge is the Sparkledrive by Voodoo labs. It's a TS808 clone with a blend knob. Ive used one for guitar and its impressive.

Last be careful when splitting the signal because if you go lead to Y splitter with one cable through the pedal and the other around it and join up the signal with another Y splitter you will get some very suprising results.
  3. Sometimes a clean blend can be useful but for what I do it certainly isn't. I use an OD or fuzz as a fat sub-boost for massive dub lines and need the entire signal effected. A clean signal thrown in would just weaken my signal.
    Just my experiance...
  4. Two amp rigs. :)

I have a Ashdown head running two Marshalls 4x12"s.

But I'm thinking of splitting my signal, run it through a multi-fx (the GT-6B I'm thinking of) and to a additional combo.

So I can have through my first (heavy, loud rig) my clean signal, my overdrive (EBS multidrive), and a distortion (ZOOM Tri-Metal), and through a more silent combo effected signals from a multi.

I think this would be ideal to mix. I want to experiment with effects, but they must be there in the background. So a lot of my sound depends on uneffected signal, I play fretless so that's important.

This is what I'm currently gassing for, I'm in a stadium where I say that I don't need effects, but on the other hand: I play an electric instrument anyway, so a effects-console is a nice addition to my rig.

Can anyone give some feedback on this gear-setup I have in mind ? Who mixes effects with dry signals this way ?
  5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

What ARE those results?

6. CS

Dec 11, 1999