1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Balancing P+MM pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by renniw, Nov 27, 2010.

1. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Hi all,

I just finished my last bass and wanted to try something else as far as pickups goes.

So here I am with a P+MM combo with the following problem:

The P is a bassline SPB-2 and the MM is a Bassline SMB-4D.

The P by itself sound wonderful, the MM by itself is also a great sounding pickup, but much louder (I'd say almost twice the output) than the P. But when I mix both pickups, I ear 90% the MM and 10% the P.

Anyone has an idea how to balance the output of those 2 pickups?

For now, the electronic setup is as simple as it gets : pickups -- three way switch -- volume.

2. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but you could individually buffer the pickups and adjust the gain for each so that they blend nicely.

3. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    or just wire them to separate volume pots and do whatever you gotta do with the knobs to even it out

4. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I was thinking about that too, but I like the simple passive approach and there's not enough space to fit a preamp in the bass (the bass is a headless style , a mix between the steinberger paddle and the Zon Vinny).

Anyone even put some resistor in series (or parallel) to balance pickups resistance (an maybe even the output)??

5. The resistance of the pickup means nothing.

If you want to try experimenting with resistors, it would be best to mount trimmer pots inside of the control cavity.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you could install a small internal trim pot on the output of the MM pickup to adjust its volume to balance with the p pickup.

i installed one on my stingray for when it's only in the series mode to balance with the parallel and split modes.

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Two output jacks and an outboard blender that you could add to attach to your strap? Or a stereo output jack and you don't have to hack any more wood.

8. Brendan5

Brendan5

Jul 18, 2009
    Subscribed. I'm interested in the P+MM combo.

9. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    A few good ideas here. Thanks for the replys.

I'll give a shot to johnk's idea, seems to be good and it's been tested. I'll go to the electronic shop, they must have some kind on ultra-super-mini pots that I could cram in my smaller than usual cavity...

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the ones that i used are about 1/4"x1/4"x1/8" so i don't think you'd have a problem fitting one in there.

11. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    But wouldn't that roll off some of the highs?

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    not necessarily, since on mine it didn't, but you can always experiment with a 2200pf cap/220K resistor across the input/output of the trim pot to make sure that it doesn't.