Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balancing PA bass with onstage bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I usually don't like playing with PA. And here is why. if we get an "engineer" that likes the bass loud and heavy in the main speakers the lower notes clash with my bass speakers on stage. when they do clash my guitar or the note being played sounds WAY out of tune. I've thought about lightening my bass sound on stage since I CAN control that, but then the drummer can't hear me well. I snuck over to the mixing board and hit the low end roll off switch and turned the bass tone control to "0" ,but still it sounded bad to me. at one point I just turned off my cabs and played through the mains, but then I had delay (the mains are 5feet and 30feet away) we're off to the left of the stage.

any other ideas??

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is exactly why I don't care for all this "flat to 30Hz" talk. I have PA support at 99% of my gigs and I've found you're better of going for a stage sound that cuts through the mix, leaving all the really low stuff to the PA subs. My EQ settings are very different at gigs without a PA.

We see threads all the time saying "sound guys make my bass sound like mud". It pains me to say it but a lot of bassists contribute to their own downfall by not realising how much of your stage sounds actually makes it out front. If your stage sound is cutting through, rest assured it's also cutting through the mix out front. Ask anyone that's done sound and they'll tell you there is no imaginarry barrier that makes your sound stop at the mic stands.

If the drummer can't hear you, ask the soundguy to put some bass into his drum-fill.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sounds like some of what you may be experiencing is some slap-back echo (not sure of the technical term), where everything from the mains, travels back, and seems out of time with everything else, and it is odd getting used to IMO.

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    My recently adopted philosophy is that I don't give a damn what the house guy does with my bass sound as long as it is good to me onstage. If I'm too loud (which I'm usually not because I have good tone), he'll come tell me. Other than that, I don't care.

I used to worry myself to death over what the house guy was or wasn't doing with my sound out front. Now I realize that I can't be burdened with it. My advice: smile, groove and pretend you're having fun even if you suspect it sounds like doggy doo out front. :cool:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Solution: employ the same soundman for all of your gigs. Works for me . . .

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I almost didn't plug into the DI today because I feared the backwash of bass from the mains. they usually don't notice or care. when they ask why they can't get sound from me I say " I didn't plug into the DI." period and they don't usually push it.

however, I did stay plugged into the main, but I switched my DI to the output where I can control the volume. I know thats dangerous from the stage, but I did and I told them know to put me in the monitors or make me too heavy/loud in the mains. The the guitar player says to the sound guy "john, and I'd like two eggs with toast over easy!" wiseguy....

it sounded better today even though we were way louder than last night. glad I had my ER-20's!!! I really gave my GS-112's a work out!