Balancing pickup output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sotua, Oct 6, 2004.

1. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    I have a yamaha RBX170 wich I recently modded with a set of Dimarzio DP126 pickups.

The sound is SWEET, and when I use de P pickup only, the sound
    is HUGE! But when I dial in the J pickup the output drops quite noticeably :crying: . Enough to warrant a volume adjustment on the amp when playing or the mixing console when recording.

The bass is wired with <a href="">dual push-pull 500k pots for series/parallel use</a>. So I wonder, is this a potential problem with the wiring or maybe I just need to lower my P pickup/raise my J to even it out?
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Check the wiring. Make sure everything is wired correctly and make sure that the solder joints are clean and tight. Bad soldering jobs will cause all sorts of strange things. Also, like you mentioned, check the pickup height--also a big factor in volume differences. If every checks out , you MAY have a bad pickup--a rare occurance but certainly possible.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Possibly one of the pickups is phase-reversed?
  4. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast

How do you check out that?
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm sure you know this, but if you have the neck in series and the bridge in parallel then there would be a larger than normal difference between P and J volumes.

Either way, it may be prudent to lower the P/raise the J. Small amounts can make a big difference in the pickup balance.
  6. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Yeah, although at the time I was using the P in parallel and the J in series, for the "zing" in the P-parallel and the J providing some of the lost low end and "articulation" (is that a word? Sorry, english isn't my 1st language ;) )

I will try doing the pickup raising/lowering thing :)

And also, I will try an experiment that might indicate the phase problem: Right now, I know that the P pickup sounds huge, and dialing in the J pickup lowers input. I'll see if the J pickup by itself sounds louder than the P+J combination. I guess that would point to a phase problem, since each pickup alone would be working fine but blending them gives problems...
  7. Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    I have a similar problem...with an Alembic Persuader..P/J..EMG's..P is good...J by itself is thin and when I raise the J vol up (with the P full up),the total vol drops abit.

What could cause this?
  8. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Ok, I'm officially an ass... I tried it, put on my soloed J, and got
    great tone, dialed in the P pickup, and the sound went HUGE!

I guess that rules out phase problems :)

So I check up my pickup height, and duuuh, the P pickup is actually CLOSER to the strings thatn the J pickup :scowl:

As if it wasn't enough that the P pickup has about double the resistance of the J pickup... ;)