Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balancing volumes of different basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the low one, Sep 22, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I have an 80’s Fender Precision with Seymour Duncan pickups and a standard MIM Fender Jazz fretless. The P-bass has a higher output than the Jazz so what’s the best way of balancing their volumes if I want to take both to a gig? Would an eq pedal do the trick to boost the fretless or can I get some kind of a/b box with separate volumes?

How do you guys cope with this issue?

2. bassbrother

bassbrother

May 9, 2005
    I had the same problem with my normal bass and my fretless. I solved this problem by using the Raven Labs PMB-II as a preamp. Two seperated channels...it works great! Unfortunatly I heard this product is discontinued...

[​IMG]

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  4. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Yep. Its gone. When I decided I wanted a Raven Labs True Blue EQ I called Steve Barr and he told me that Raven was all done.
    Luckily I found a place that still had them in stock. Somebody might still have that in. I'm thinking I should have bought that instead, now. Damn.

Anyway. You can be sure that that is a top notch peice of gear. I bought my Raven Labs here: http://www.washingtonmusic.com/

Maybe they have it. If not Mr. Barr told me that a company called D-Tar was coming out with a similar product line that he was really positive about. Maybe they have something.

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    What about using something like a BOSS bass eq as a boost? Leave it off for the P-bass with the higher output and turn it on for the Jazz. I'd also have the option of shaping the tone on the Jazz as well. Would this work?

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Does your amp have an input gain control? If so, adjust it and mark the levels with a grease pencil if it doesn't have numbers so you can easily and quickly return to the setting you want.

Or, on the bass with the hottest output, buy a knob with a marking on it (or modify yours) and position it so that at the correct setting it's say vertical so you can quickly get it back to the setting.

Easy. $3 max.