1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baldwin Bass from the 60's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Denison329, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Denison329

Denison329

Jan 28, 2008
    So a friend of mine at church on Sunday, said he had this old Baldwin bass in his closet that he'd gotten somewhere. Said I could play around with it if I wanted to. Anybody know anything about these? Couldn't find much with the Search function. Are they decent? Worth much? Worth messing around with?

2. bobr2

bobr2

Mar 27, 2006
    Baldwin brought out a line of guitars, basses, and an amp in the mid-60's, after they failed to buy Fender. The instruments were re-branded Burns (UK), and are decent instruments. I still play my Jazz bass (3-pickups, "Wild Dog" setting). They are mildly collectible in the vintage market. Definitely not junk.

3. They weren't 'rebranded' Burns, they were rebranded 'Baldwin' in the UK, at least.

Burns was the only decent British mass guitar maker and has been around since the '50s and are both extremely good instruments and quite progressive. Arguably the trem in the Burns Marvin is amongst the best ever made.

The basses were more than Good Enough. If you can get hold of a 60s Bison bass, hang on to it. they also did a short scale 6 bass, a bit like the Fender VI.

Some were quite weird (Flyte).

4. I think he meant "re-branded" as an adjective, not as a verb (meaning that they were Burns instruments that were re-branded as Baldwin)

Hey a week ago I picked up one of those bass VI types, a Burns Barracuda. It came set up as a baritone, from A-to-A, but my new set of bass VI strings are supposed to arrive today... I am so eager to use it as a short-scale 6-string bass; it sounds so amazing with the baritone strings that I assume it will sound just as good with the bass strings....

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I have always had interst in them. I find it odd they do not ave a larger following?

They seem like cool basses?

6. bobr2

bobr2

Mar 27, 2006
  7. magrin

magrin

May 5, 2007
    Hi,

I would like to buy the bridge and bridge cover of a Baldwin Jazz Bass. If anyone can help, kindly contact me on enzmagrin@hotmail.com

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Randy Meisner was fond of them in The Eagles.

[​IMG]

9. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    I had a Baldwin Vibraslim for a while. Nicest hollowbody I've ever played. Great slim neck, fantastic action, thumping tone, and quiet as hell. Probably the ugliest bass I've ever seen, though.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, those are the Baldwins I remember. Jeeze.

11. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I didn't know Meisner played a Hagstrom. That's no Baldwin, izzit?

12. That's a Hagstrom bass, def not Baldwin.

Def Baldwin, Burns are collectible basses. If I had the opportunity to buy one and it was in decent shape, I'd go for it.:smug:

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH

Hmmmm...my eyes are getting bad. I'm still pretty sure Meisner used a Baldwin at some point. Guess I'd better dig around a little more.

14. does anyone know the scale length on the old baldwin jazz bass?

15. okonacat

okonacat

Aug 18, 2007
    Meisner looks like he's using a Hagstrom to me. I had an old Baldwin catalog, and
    I never saw a tailpiece like that on a Baldwin Bass. The four slide switches look Hagstrom also. @ray yo, the Baldwin Jazz was a short scale, about 31 in.