1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ball and Biscuit!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Whassap, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Whassap

Whassap

Jul 11, 2006
    Hey there,

I'm looking for a good distortion/fuzz pedal, I'm looking for a tone similiar to White Stripes - Ball and Biscuit, or pretty much any song off of Black Keys - Thickfreakness. I think they use a big muff pedal to get that tone from a guitar, would the muff still give that sound to a bass? I want a 60s and 70s' blues-ish psychadelic rock with a sprinkle of modern spirit (but mostly good old vintage) sound, if that makes any sense ;)

Garage rock revival with a bit of blues would be a better way to describe the sound im looking for.

Also, has anyone heard what the Double Muff sounds like on a bass?

2. Im not so familiar with those particular songs, but a big muff is a great fuzz pedal. I would almost say its possibly the most generic one seen around here. Most here currently own or have owned one/plan to own one. Be aware that there are Current US and Russian models and to make it more confusing, there are also discontinued US and Russian versions. Then there are the miniture versions just released :) They all have their own character and I'd even go as far as saying that individual muffs of the same breed differ to each other... Go try one if possible. My personal preference is the Russian variety. Im noticing a lot of people saying good things about the current Little Big Muff in regard to bass usage.

The double muff is not so popular. I have never used it, but do some searches in the forum and see what other people have to say about it

3. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    I like the old original issue RAT pedal. Made for guitar I spose, but has a 'tone' knob that gets mucho bassBalls! The distortion is not so 'fuzzy' n lite as a big Muff. at least the muff that i have... and never use.

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    The guitarist from the Black Keys uses a fuzz face remake done by analogman if I remember correctly... I looked him up about a month ago, so the info is fuzzy now, but I think thats right. I think the russian muff will get you closer to that sound than the NYC. A passive bass will also get you that sound a little easier. My active through the my LBM is soooooo soooooo fuzzily smooth, but passive through it you can get more muffly tones like in the stuff from thickfreakness.

I don't remember the tone in ball and biscuit though...

5. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    This is an odd question seeing as none of those bands have bass players. But i would go with a Big Muff or a Fuzz of anykind.

6. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    Being a big fan of both bands. I can tell you that the last time I saw Black Keys, in Cincy at shake it records, he was using a analog man fuzz face. Now I dont know if it was modded, by analogman, or if built by analogman.

Hopefully when they come back through Cincy, I'll see them and they wont be so huge that I'll be able to ask him. He's really cool about talking about tone and guitars, which some people are not cool about.

7. ball and biscuit is a great song! if you get the guitar world magazine ( august 2007 ) theres a CD were their actullay playing that song on the CD and a huge huge huge column on him disscussing effects and pedals! check it out! ill try to get a video for you from the CD

8. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Ha! more support! I win!

lol

I think it was also modded by analogman for him... At least this is what I remember reading off of analogman's site, but again, that was a while ago..

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Actually, at any setting, the RAT loses lows.

10. Whassap

Whassap

Jul 11, 2006
    I got a Little Big Muff today, they gave me 30 days to see if its what I want, so i decided to test it out. I've screwed around with it quite a bit, but i just cant get the right mix. On some settings I love how the top end grinds and has that organ-like piercing quality, but then the lows will sound cut and weak. Not sure what to try out now, the fuzz face sounds like it would be cool. I would like to try out a russian muff, not sure where I would get the chance to do that though.

Im going to see the stripes on June 29th, not a huge fan of their new album Icky Thump, theres a few sweet tracks like Rag and Bone/Catch Hell Blues, hopefully they play more of their older stuff when they come by.

These guys have some sweet tone!
    The bassist had a stroke, he plays his bass lines on a keyboard.

http://www.themuggs.com/media/

11. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    are they from Detroit? I think I've heard of them before...

12. Whassap

Whassap

Jul 11, 2006
    Yup, there from detroit. Great band, they make some amazing music and I've heard their live show is simply orgasmic.

13. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I can imagine. I like what I've heard, but I never got into them...

14. Whassap

Whassap

Jul 11, 2006
    Went down to my favorite music store the other day, played around with quite a few pedals, and I was extremely surprised by the Danelectro FAB Distortion. At $30 I was expecting some pretty shifty things, but it sounds great, I think it sounds way better on bass than guitar actually. Great Tone control, which seems to act exactly like P-Bass tone knob and holds a lot of bass. Check this pedal out, it really surprised me with great response, sound, and price!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021