1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ball end winding

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jun 21, 2017.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Does anyone know the lengths of the thick winding at the ball end of strings? I'm looking for a string with shorter windings so they don't go over the saddles on the bass in question. Currently using Ernie ball hybird slinky's and the winding at the ball end is about 2cm (too long on the E and A strings).

2. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    You have to have the saddles that far back for proper intonation? What kind of bass is this?

3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Let me guess: Gibson three-point bridge?
    Use a "mod bar", or equivalent. My Epiphone EB-3 sits unused for the moment, but I'm going to figure out something to put some distance between ball-end anchoring and saddles as soon as I call it back into service.
    mod bar gibson - Google Search

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Yup, epiphone thunderbird classic iv pro. I'm just wondering if I can fix this without adding anything to the bridge or swapping it. I tried using a strap button to put some distance on the E string and didn't really notice that much difference but the strings are a little old so that might have been why. If I found strings with silk and shaved the silk off, would that part of the string still have a thicker wind at the ball end? @TBird1958 has recommended DR stainless steel strings in other threads so I might try those out at some point.

TBird1958 likes this.
  5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    FWIW when I tried Fender flats (9050CL) exactly this happened. I guess it's good to know there are string with extra-short thick/rough initial sections: please report back your findings if you have the time.

6. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    So I went to my local music store and bought two sets of strings: DR SS Lo Riders 45-105, and Rotosound RS66 45-105 (with the 80 A string).

I put the DR Lo riders on and the winding at the bridge was perfect. Nothing on the saddle. Nice clear sustain, though the fact that they were stainless steel may have contributed to that. When I had put the ernie ball slinky's on, the E and A had very little sustain and were thuddy (no twisted string) right off the bat.

The low E string wrapped around the tuner post well past the taper. I got at least one full winding of actual string on it. Tonally they sounded good but for the sake of research I was really itching to try out those Rotosounds. So I compared them.

Rotosound RS66 (45-105):
    Tuner end of the bass is totally fine, looks nice and clean. Red Silks look fantastic on a white Tbird.

Bridge end: the winding is good. It sits a little bit on the E string saddle but the rest of the strings are fine.

Tonally more balanced than the Lo Riders imo. Sustain for days. It's so clear. I think these are the string for this bass.

I found the Lo Riders to be a little zingier but the Rotosounds have a much more aggressive and unique midrange that I think complements the tbird tone really well. Excited to see how they age.

With EB slinky's I was boosting bass, cutting low mids, and adding a bit of high mids and a lot of treble. With the rotosounds I find myself still doing the same for the most part but I don't need to boost as much lows.

Ernie ball strings sound fantastic on my pbass and I'm using those to record right now but once I go through the next, which is the last eb set I have, then I'm throwing rotosounds on it.

Edit: Lo Riders seemed a little bit more flexible than the Rotosounds

HaphAsSard and trothwell like this.
  7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    GHS Boomers should work, too. Probably one of the reasons why they - and the Lo Riders - are so popular with T-Bird players. Aside from the tone, of course...:whistle:

jamersonburton likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020