Ball Family reserve? Or just discontinued finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Feb 21, 2019.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Saw this GC listing as a BFR bongo. Anyone remember if this was an actual BFR finish or just a discontinued finish? Either way I am seriously considering buying it since I love the sparkle bongos and the price isn't terrible. Sweetwater has a purple HS still in stock too though with the ebony neck. i'm having more GAS attacks than my 3 month old son...... Screenshot_2019-02-21-13-19-24.png

wintremute likes this.
  2. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Amherst, MA
    Wasn’t that sparkle green a Premier Dealer Network finish? I can’t remember if PDNs fall under the BFR lineup.

TolerancEJ, BIGEJ2 and TheMaynorD like this.
  3. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    It has the ergonomic tuners, so it isn't that old. Last two PDNs I remember are the neptune blue and the tobacco burst.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. John Freeman

John Freeman Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    It is a PDN Sparkle Emerald Green. It is not a BFR.

HD007, TolerancEJ, Waltsdog and 3 others like this.
  5. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Ball family reserve would say ball family reserve. inlaid in the fretboard on all the ones I remember.

Runnerman, Waltsdog and TheMaynorD like this.
  6. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    That's what I thought. Still not a bad deal. Maybe they'll knock $50 off.

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    10/10 would drive the crappiest car if it had that paint.

TrustRod, HD007, wintremute and 2 others like this.
  8. John Freeman

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    The color is very difficult to find. $1,999 for a 6-string is a little more than it sold for new. Back then, a 5-string ran $1,599. I don't recall if the 6-string was $100 more or $200 more.

Here is a sold one from reverb to help with pricing.

Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 6 HS Limited Emerald Green Sparkle

EDIT - The reverb listing is three years old. They have become increasingly more difficult to find since then.

TheMaynorD likes this.
  9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    IIR, the sparkle green was only in 2013?

10. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Debating if I should shell out for it (guitar center CC) or wait for this year's PDN. My thought is, unlike the normal bongos I could probably turn around and sell this for $1,999 in a year or so if I'm not feeling it. (I always have at least ONE Bongo 6 in my stable)

11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    17vajzcdgirkbjpg.jpg

HD007, Caca de Kick, hintz and 2 others like this.
  12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    oh, man. Yes. And with deep dish rose petal rims?! If that thing has been converted to rwd, it is pretty close to The Perfect Car, AFAIC.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  13. John Freeman

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    That's a tough call. Price is not bad for the used market and when compared to current new prices. However $2k is a lot of scratch. If you sell it on Reverb for $2k, you'll easily eat $130 in seller and credit card fees plus another $100 in shipping. The other issue is this year's BFR. I don't know what it is and you may or may not like it as much as the green one.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd email Ernie Ball for confirmation or otherwise.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    This years special finish is a matte green Dargie.
    Except I don't like matte finishes. The glossy sparkle looks much better.

HD007 likes this.
  16. I agree with the others. This is the real deal, but a PDN instead of BFR. (More or less a terminology issue, but both refer to limited time offers for the finish and any other extra details.) If you want to let it sit at GC for 90 days, they sometimes reduce the used prices slightly (but you risk someone else buying it).

I own a Bongo HS 6 in the Honey Roasted PDN, which was my favorite offer over the years. It's an excellent instrument.

17. HD007

HD007

Jul 12, 2018
    This year’s is also a Stingray Special 4 string. I don’t recall seeing a Bongo. (I like this year’s green, in the photos at least, but haven’t seen in real life).

This seems like a decent price for a Bongo 6 string. With GC can’t you have it shipped to a local store and not have to buy it if you don’t like it?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Going to hold off. At the end of the day, the only difference is the finish. Maybe if it had the ebony fingerboard and roasted maple neck, but,i could easily send my bass, or a beat up $1100 bongo 6 to marty bell and get it pimped out in sparkle disco ball finish. Plus the starry night bongo 6 is still my favorite bongo. That or the actual dargie.

Thanks,for the advice yall!

BIGEJ2 and HD007 like this.
  19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Wth is dargie?

20. John Freeman

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    That's probably the best bet @TheMaynorD. As cool as the finish it, it is hard to excited about paint. Having a roasted neck, ebony board, etc. would be a much better cost justification. The Dargie PDN is for a Stingray 4 Special only. It won't carry over to the Bongo line.

TheMaynorD and HD007 like this.