1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ballpark cost to drill/bush/drill a stick?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by toman, May 8, 2006.

1. I need to get this done to my favorite bow, as the hole is way stretched out, and not only does it make for a somewhat sloppy fit between the stick and frog, but I've heard horror stories about this condition causing the screw to explode out of the stick, causing major damage. When I bought the bow a new knob was fitted to get the best fit between it and the stick, so as to minimise the problem with the knowledge that it would have to be fixed properly eventually. Now the knob is worn enough that it isn't keeping things together too well, so I'm going to get it fixed if it's not prohibitively expensive. Anybody had this doe or have an idea how much it's going to cost me? :meh:

2. skullhead

skullhead

Aug 27, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This cost me $100. New eye and new screw fitted to existing button. Done by Wally Moore while working at Volkwein's in Pittsburgh. Worth it!

3. I'm confused; did that include also bushing the stick? Because that's what I need; I allready did the new screw route once, and now I'm back where I started.

4. skullhead

skullhead

Aug 27, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sorry. The bushing was only for the new eye. So I suppose the stick wasn't touched.

5. Ok, thanks for clarifying. Yeah, what I need done is to drill out the screw hole in the stick, plug it, then re-drill it to it's appropriate size. :help:

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
  7. Yikes. That's about what I figured. Good thing the bow's worth it... :meh: