Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balls To No Balls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bosco, May 30, 2005.

1. bosco

bosco

May 30, 2005
    Several years ago I bought a Hartke 1155 Combo. This combo came with the 3500 amp head and a cabinet consisting of a 15" woofer and a 5" tweeter (w/the classic Hartke aluminum cones). I absolutely loved it but my car got broken into and it was stolen. Unfortunately Hartke stopped making this combo several years ago so it's been a bit difficult to replace it. However, a couple years ago Hartke came out with its VX line (VX=very extreme) and offered a combo with the same 3500 amp head @ 350 watts and a 4x10 cabine and has paper cones). This was as close as I could find to the old one and bought one sight unseen from Zzounds.com. It sounds very good but I have to play it at volume 8 or 9 to get it as loud as 3 or 4 was on my old combo. just a huuuge disparity in capability. What could this disparity possibly be attributed to and how could I mend it? Thanx a million.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Hartke VX drivers are very inefficient.

3. bosco

bosco

May 30, 2005
    Anyway to upgrade or replace? Am I gonna blow this thing out playing 3 hour gigs at volume 8 and 9?

4. bosco

bosco

May 30, 2005
    also, I see on ebay that there's this combo for sale but the owner upgraded the amp head from the 3500 to the 7000 (700 watts). Is the inefficient drivers the reason? Thanks for the help. I've been playing for years but have never been a gear freak and have pretty much kept the same gear that I started with 13 years ago and never really got into the workings of it all.