Ballsy sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Dec 24, 2004.

1. right now im playing a MIM fender jazz, i like it, but i'm not getting the ballsy sound that i want. should i go active? or what?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like youve got the wrong bass. Ballsy = Fender Precision Bass ;)
  3. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    What amplification are you using? How much power, what speakers? Quality power and EQ is very helpful. You never have too much power. You can never be too good looking or have to much RAM etc.

You should be able to get some balls from a jazz bass. If you have serious amplification and you are still not able to get some balls then think about switching PUs and/or adding a preamp. Bassically, those pickups are the same MIA, are they not? Also a fresh set of strings will add some life to things. Plenty of great sounding Jazz Basses out there. I don't think it's the bass.

Finally, the bass player has everything to do with the sound he/she produces. I've heard great players make a crap ax sound great and conversely, I've heard guys get horrible sounds from the best gear.

Good luck. This is a quest we are all on as bass players... the killer sound.
  4. I'd consider replacing the pickups, I added some dimarzio ultra jazz pickups to a MIM jazz bass a while back it did a world of good for the tone. another fun thing you can do with a jazz bass is to add a series/paralell switch (but you have to feel comfortable re-wiring things to do that one).
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I used to own a MIM Jazz, swapped out the pickups with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and added a Badass II bridge. I also used it in conjunction with a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and it sounded amazing!

Before making mods to your bass, see if you can pick up a Sans Amp and if that does it for you. If not, try swapping out pickups. If still not, then try the bridge. In the end, you'll be a happy person.:cool:
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    You should be able to get a good, strong tone out of most any style bass as long as it's configured correctly. I am a total P bass kinda guy and it does whatever I need it to do but that doesn't mean that the two J's I have aren't fully capable of achieving the sound you're wanting.
    I totally back up the notion of swapping out the pickups first. In my experience, my preference goes to Seymour Duncan..I guarantee you drop a 1/4 pounder in, whether it's a P or a J and it'll make a ton of difference.
    I feel like Dimarzio's have one of the hottest output's around. I have a Jazz equipped with Model J's and if I want full-on balls to the walls I need only crank the volume on the neck pickup for some serious grind.
    Long story short, change out the pickups first before you start spending money on more expensive endeavors. :D
  7. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey man, i have a fender MIM jazz and i know how you feel.
    Its all there, the tone and everything.They are great basses with a great sound for an awesome price. Its just lacking a nice full sound, it seems kind of thin at times. Im gonna change the pickups in mine (with Bartolini Dual coils), I'll let you know how it turns out. Im hoping to get more growl and fullness out of it.

Other than that......theyre great, are they not? :bassist:
  8. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Yep. made the big switch tonight. Changed out the pups for Dimarzios, made a huge difference. This is a Mexican bass that took me 2 years to find. I have a MIA and a Stingray as well and although the Stingray has great tone, this Mexican is the best Jazz I've found. It supposed to be a re-issue; however, I don't recall what year. The craftsmanship was done very well when compared to my MIA, in fact, I believe it's better. Tone wise, with the new pups, it sounds better than the MIA. I'm playing it through a SWR 750, Eden 2x10XLT and a 2x12 Avatar. Sounds pretty good, although I'm not completely happy with the cabinets.
    Anyway, changing the pups made a drastic improvement.
  9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Ballsiest Jazz bass I've heard belongs to my bro. It's a MIJ with EMG PUs and actives, 3 volumes and master tone. It sounds ballsy as all get out when played through my 400+ and customized Mesa-EV and Eden equipped Ampeg Isovent. Sounds about 90% as good as his early Tobias for a tiny fraction of the price, although it's built completely differently, and he admits (though it pains him) that it plays better.

10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    That actually looks kinda cool. Any chance we could get some recordings of it?
  11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    That's pretty cool...reminds me of Stu Hamm's Fenders but with a J instead of a P in the middle. That's cool!
  12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'll talk to him about recording it, may take a while what with the craziness of the holidays upon us, and having yet to get the recording gear set up. I'd do it, but it's a lefty, and I'm not.