Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BAM 210 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Apr 10, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hi All. I was wondering if the BAM 210 can get to sound like a single 15 inch speaker. I am looking for that warm 15 inch speaker sound, like old Motown from the 60's kinda sound. Can the BAM 210 do this? If so, that would be great, and the other features would be gravy. I would probably be buying one sight unseen, and don't want to shell out the $$ for something I won't like. My local music store is a Peavey dealer, but they don't carry the BAM in stock. Thanks much for any help.

:)

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, one if the options is a "Fliptop 1X15" and I think it sounds good. But I don't listen to Motown or the such, so I can't say if that's teh 15 it sounds like.:meh:

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There are a couple of different options that give a nice 15" cab sound.

With the BAM you are not tied into a "preset" sound, though there are a few 15" cab presets.

There is a cab-swap option that allows you to setup different amp head sounds with different 15" cab sounds

And all of these can be further tweaked to get exactly the kind of sound you desire.

Heck, just for the fun of it I purposely dialed in some amps/cabs I really hate and managed to get them to sound better (something I could not do with the actual cabs/amps themselves).

And no, I will not mention which ones I don't like as my intent here is not to start a flaming thread and besides, it's too subjective anyway.

My point is that one would be hard pressed to NOT find a sound/tone they like. If you like a particular tone (whatever it is), you can get it with this combo amp.

4. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Thanks for the info Sundogue, that sounds encouraging. I'm really looking for a do everything amp, and maybe the BAM 210 is it. I'll have to get my hands on one and check it out first though. That's a lot of $$ for something sight unseen. Thanks again.

If anyone else can contribute to this question, please do. Thanks everyone.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I would try one out if you can. I love it, but you may not.

I bought mine after only one time trying it out in a store.

I've owned alot of amps and combos...Carvin RC210 and recently the Eden Metro.

The BAM 210 is superior to those in every way.

6. q998

q998

Apr 8, 2003
    Wales
    Hi
    Yes it can
    I was getting used to my new one - bought site unseen - and had the radio on to jam along. Somethig Motown came on and I just selected the fliptop/1x15 option and it sounded virtually the same. Big Grin all round.

Si

7. q998

q998

Apr 8, 2003
    Wales
    Gigged it :)

It's terrific!
    Si
    :)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100%. As a previous Metro owner, and a big fan of the SWR Super Redhead(and a current BAM owner) I can say that the BAM blows away any combo on the market. It sounds like a stack, not a combo.

And it does very convincing 1x15 emulation as well.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    WOOHOO!!! JEFF IS BACK!!!

Glad to see you back!

10. q998

q998

Apr 8, 2003
    Wales
    Yep weighs about as much too. :)
    How do you get on moving it around? Any tips?
    I'm thinking of putting Peavey pop out castors on it as the shopping trolly handle and wheels are pretty much useless on all but smooth floors ...
    Si

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does it sound with other cabs?
    I´m interested in the BAM head only.
    Do you think it would work with a SWR 2x12"?

Also how would you compare it´s sounds with a Bass POD???