Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BAM 210 with 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, May 12, 2003.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I’ve had my BAM210 for about two months now and I am continuing to be impressed with it.

I’ve had about 4 gigs with the BAM210 and it has really sounded great and in small clubs the 2-10” Eminence drivers really hold up well at higher volumes (even with the low B).

But since I knew I’d have summer gigs outdoors and some large halls to play, I bought a Peavey 410TVX as an extension cab. I had a chance to play out with this setup over the weekend.

The BAM210 (4 ohm cab) with the 410TVX (4 ohm cab) provides for 500 watts into 6-10” speakers (so it’s running at 2 ohms…which is fine with the BAM). This setup is very loud (though I did not even push it very hard at all). I had the master volume only at 5 on the amp…and the volume on my bass was only at about 4, when I was at my loudest). It was very clear, clean, and punchy and handled the lowest notes very well. During soundcheck I did crank it up and it still was very clean, although I couldn’t play that way for long without bringing down the house. :D

It had a deep, tight sound…with the lowest notes being very full and solid, yet very well defined. The high notes were more substantial. No matter where I played on the neck all the notes were full and very clean. I’ve had previous setups where the lower notes sounded good but the highs sounded weak by comparison. This setup sounds good throughout.

I’m only using three of my own presets, out of the many amp models. One is basically a very clean, bright and punchy tone…ala Chris Squire and another that is a solid, flatwound strung Fender Precision type sound (something like a Grand Funk tone) as my two main type sounds. I’ve got others I’m working on, but are still a work in progress. The BAM210 amp modeling is great to get whatever tone you want with a simple click of the footswitch. The onboard tuner works great and is better than any other tuner I’ve tried for the low B string.

There are so many great amps and cabs out there for bass players now…but if you might be looking for a combo, the BAM210 is definitely worth looking into. Together with an extension cab, this combo is simply one of the best ever, for small or large gigs, no matter what type of band you play in.

2. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

I played a Bam C-bo friday at a music store and was impressed, but I think that it might need an xtra cab in some situations. It is definantly versatile.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've heard nothing but great things about the BAM! I have a friend that went from a SWR Redhead to a Eden Metro......and ended up with the BAM, that he likes more than the other two....for less cash.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    how much is the bam210?

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've seen them new from about 900.00 to a grand...not bad at all:cool:

6. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    That sounds like a great amp.

I'd love to get that Grand Funk kinda sound... the bass on their old (first) live album really rips! I love the bass on that album!

or should i say cd? :)

How big and heavy is the BAM by itself? Do you think it would fit in the trunk or backseat of a '93 Nissan Sentra?
    My TNT115 fits easily in the back seat when I load it in sideways, but that puppy is heavy! Weighs almost 100 pounds.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Gotta love the BAM.

But unless you intend to buy one, DO NOT PLAY IT. You WILL fall in love with it.

They are so secksi... I love the slap sound I get out of my jazz when I set the amp the the fretless setting... but i can only do that when i am at the store and can play with the amp :bawl:

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    They're Peavey Blue Marvels, and I don't think Eminence makes them.

9. I just spent $730 on a Combo 115, and I'm beginning to think I should have waited until I had another $170! But then again, by the looks of it, the BAM is seriously heavy and hard to move around, has 2x10 Marvels (Not as nice as the Widows) and IMO it looks crap compared to the sleek Combo or TNT.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sure sounds a lot better, though.

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    It's on wheels and has a kickback style handle, I think it's easy to move. And isn't all Peavey heavy? ;)

12. I see your point, but the money I spent was still a massive amount, and 200 to 300watt is easily enough for me unless I do REALLY big gigs, where I'll borrow someone else's rig or PA' it up.