Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I need an extension cab for my BAM 210. At first I thought maybe Peavey's new Pro Line, but I've been told it DOESN"T use the same speakers as the bam, and from the specs I've seen it looks pretty unimpressive. I've heard good things about acme, and since they have a very neutral tone I thought they might not "hurt" the sound of my bam to much.
    I LOVE the way my bam sounds now, but its not loud enough. Also don't tell me acme are to quite, b/c they are more efficient then the BAM speakers.
    (Bam = 92SPL, Acme=93SPL). Anyone who has tried both of these products have any ideas?
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    acmes sound great, but need LOTS and LOTS of power to make a lot of noise. think 1000W minimum for a 4x10.

i'd go for something more efficient like a SWR or Eden.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    As an Acme owner, I regretfully suggest that you don't have enough available power to make it worthwhile. You already say your BAM isn't loud enough, so adding another cab that's not audibly more efficient (odds are you can't hear a 1 dB efficiency difference--most people can't) isn't going to give you much more volume. Now, if you got a *second* power amp (I'd recommend 500-600 W) and hooked that up to the line/preamp out of your BAM on one end and an Acme B-2 on the other, you might be on to something.
  4. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    this config hes suggesting should still be louder because hell be using the speakers in the bam in addition to the acme, so hes tripling his speaker surface, plus, the amp is going to be driving a lower load, so more wattage. Hell probably end up 6db + improvement, which is quite a bit. I say go for it, and if it ends up needed just a bit more kick in the junk THEN add the second power amp.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, it'll be a little louder; my point is that I don't think it's gonna be any big quantum jump. Also, he's not gonna be tripling his speakers. he's talking about the B-2, not the B-4; it's the B-2 that has the 93 dB sensitivity figure.

A couple other points:

1. I'm dubious about the 92 dB figure for the BAM speakers. That seems very low. 97 or 98 seems more plausible to me. I really doubt that the BAM's 2 10s are less efficient than the Acme.

2. If he adds, say, a 4 ohm Acme to his 4 ohm internal speakers, he'll have a 2 ohm load. Though the Peavey is rated for that, running it at that load is running it at the lowest limit of its rating, which can be stressful. Also, the Acme is believed by many to pose a particularly difficult load. Thus, the Acme could give problems at that setting even if the rating is technically not exceeded. I have known this to happen.

3. If he likes the way the BAM sounds now, using the Acme won't necessarily preserve that. What he likes about the BAM is colored by the BAM's speakers, which almost certainly *won't* sound the same as the Acme.

4. The original question had to do with getting more volume. For getting more volume with an extension speaker, Acmes are one of the least logical choices, because they verge on being the least efficient bass speakers in general circulation. Before plunking down the bucks for Acme, why not at least look at Eden, Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, and Euphonic Audio?
  6. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    For the record, the sensitivity for the raw BAM woofer is 92dB, vs. 90dB for the Acme's woofer. So cabwise you're looking at 95dB for the BAM, and 93dB for the Acme. The BAM would be 56% louder.

The Acme can't hurt, and would certainly add some SPL. But like Richard said, if you want to get the most volume out of the BAM rig, then add the most sensitive 2x10 you can find. On the other hand, the Eden will colour your sound a lot more than the Acme.

Decisions, decisions... have you thought of asking the Talkbass collective what they think? :)

7. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The weird thing about it is that when I run the Bam at a 2ohm load it clips much much much less then by itself. By itslef I can't turn the master up past 4 or 4. With my old BW I could turn it to about 6 or 7, without clipping. So I'm thinking adding another speaker will help me tap into some more of the actual power for the Bam itself to use.

Second BassPlayerMag said that the Bam still sounded very realistic through the XLR out. Wouldn't this mean that the speakers don't color it much, b/c otherwise it would sound different through the XLR then the cab. Thusly the more neutral the speaker the closer to the Bam it will actually sound?

Are there any other companies that make a good 2x10 that is very neutral (not coloured), and not really expensive. Epifani?
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Adding another cab is a great idea for getting more volume. I just don't think that the Acme, much as I like it, is the best choice for your setup. I could, of course, be wrong.

Realistic is one thing, identical is another.

As for other cabs, this kind of thing comes up a lot, so try searching TalkBass for the names I mentioned above. Eden is generally held to have a distinct color, but many folks feel that Epifani, Bergantino, and especially Euphonic Audio are pretty uncolored.
  9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Actually I don't care a whole lot that it sounds identical. I only care that it 1) sounds as good or better then it does now. 2)Sounds close enough I can still tell what its modeling.
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Bassplayer Suggested:

Acme, Ashdown

Aguilar(i think would colour alot), Bergantino
  11. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Did Epifini stop making those 3x10s? How would one of those sound?
  12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The Epifani 3x10 is still being made and would be good with the BAM.
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have Acmes....great cabs, but need juice! I don't think the BAM has that juice!
  14. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Bassmaster how much did your bam210 costs new?