1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BAM content: help me choose!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by idoru, Mar 11, 2008.

1. MIM Precision Deluxe

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Tribute L2000

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    hey guys - watching ebay like a hawk at the moment, and have two basses to choose from (BIN prices in Aussie dollars, including shipping where appropriate):

MIM Precision Deluxe, $1200: black finish, 20 fret maple fretboard, gold pickguard, active electronics, noiseless jazz bridge pickup. Year unknown, pre-inspection okay, cash on pickup okay.

G&L Tribute L2000, $800: black finish, 21 fret maple fretboard. Again, exact year unknown, but it's a recent series (no huge Tribute on the bridge). Delivery only, as it's interstate.

I'm a nut for BAM basses, my ATK300 started something. I'm also over my Jazz bass - love the soloed bridge pickup, but not much else, so that sucker's on the chopping block. The P deluxe is a real looker in that colour combo, but everything else about the L2K screams "BUY ME". That extra fret comes in handy for Chili Peppers covers, and if I really, really must have a pickguard I'm perfectly capable of designing and cutting one myself. Likewise, if I need to nail single coil tone I can do a wiring mod.

C'mon TB, help me make up my mind here :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm well I never really liked G&l's stuff. Call me crazy. However, they are good basses for the money, and since its cheaper than the fender, you may want to go there.

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not too tricky to bow to the weight of public opinion here :)

c-

4. What's BAM? Black and Maple?

5. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yep - way I see it, there's been enough talk about them to use the abbreviation :)

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Similar quality , but better and much more versatile electronics in the G & L IMO, and money left over for
    beer.

7. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sadly, excess funds go back to the kitty to make up for my emergency speaker replacement last month. On the plus side, the house has a beer budget anyway :)

c-

8. The Deluxe Precision is a pretty solid bass, but I would definitely go with the G&L. The construction will probably be better, and there is pretty much every sound you could imagine in that bass. Plus, it's a nice change from the millions of Fenders out there.