Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BAM210 solid-state & tube questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan Hassing, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Hi: Can somebody clarify whether or not the Peavey BAM210 is an all solid-state combo? I haven't seen anything suggesting it uses a tube(s) in its preamp, but thought I'd ask. For those that use either the Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead, how frequently would you suggest the preamp tube needs to be replaced and is that an expensive process? Thanks

Bryan

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The Bam is digital. Some parts of it like the compressor , and ONE of the preamps are analog. It does use transtubes.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Also in my opinion, amps that have only 1 12ax7 tube in the preamp, and no other tubes, are usually a gimmick. I don't believe one tube is enough to actually effect the tone, the same way a real tube amp does..

4. Thanks Chris. But, what is a Transtube?

Bryan

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The Bam doesn't have real tubes, but it emulates tube sounds, and digitally adds the tube harmonics, overdives and what not (assuming you are modeling a tube amp). Transtubes is just what peavey calls their technology.

6. Chris, I use a Trace 250 watt GP12, with solid state and tube preamps, which are blendable. There is a world of difference between the two, the tube preamp has more fat warmth, and more volume. It uses a 12ax7.