1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bamboo Bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spacemagician, Apr 14, 2010.

1. spacemagician

spacemagician

Apr 14, 2010
    Is a bamboo bass guitar possible? Will it suck? I will likely try to make one even if it is terrible, so my main question is: How? How should I make it? Thanks. Keep in mind that I have no experience with woodworking, instrument making or anything. Thanks!

2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bassist:

3. It may work... but it'll probably have pretty RATTAN sound quality to it.

har har

4. spacemagician

spacemagician

Apr 14, 2010
    XD I assume you're laughing at the fact that I am undergoing a pretty tough project considering that I have no experience. It's laughable, I understand.

5. spacemagician

spacemagician

Apr 14, 2010
    Lol but how could I do it? I actually have some pretty general questions like how to install a truss rod. I assume that I would need one because of how bendy bamboo is.

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Bamboo is for Pandas! Actually, just cover the top of your bass with bamboo flooring material, and VOILA!

7. ccmbassplayer

ccmbassplayer

Feb 14, 2010
    Parma, Ohio
    LOL!! Sorry, I dont mean any offense.. but just the way you said that was frickin Great !! LOL!!!!

Classic !!!

8. lx_night

lx_night

Sep 3, 2008
    Oklahoma city
    i dont think bamboo would create a pleasant sounding bass. plus bamboo is not hard enough

9. ccmbassplayer

ccmbassplayer

Feb 14, 2010
    Parma, Ohio
    He is NOT trying to make a Violin.. and that is NOT how you spell Violin. ;):D

10. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    you could order a neck and finger/fret board from warmoth and build your bass around that.

11. ccmbassplayer

ccmbassplayer

Feb 14, 2010
    Parma, Ohio
    I would just get some of that Bamboo looking contact paper and put it on the body and clear over it.. then JUST Tell everyone its bamboo..

12. spacemagician

spacemagician

Apr 14, 2010
    It's more of an environmental thing. And, yeah, I tried to sound funny.

13. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

15. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    here's another

16. spacemagician

spacemagician

Apr 14, 2010
    Yeah, I saw some of those. (I am at school, though, so I can't watch videos on YouTube.) If someone hadn't successfully done it, I probably would have given up ;P
    Also, do I even need a truss rod. I don't see one on my current bass and I JUST learned about them. What are they? Are they on basses?

17. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Stick Enterprises offers a bamboo instrument, so it's possible for sure.
    And the how, just check through the stickies here. I would imagine lots of laminating to create a big enough slab, but truss rod would be the same to install as with regular wood.

Good luck and take pictures.
    Dirk

18. Look, I'm sorry but...if you have to ask................you are doomed. I really thought you were kidding in your first post.

19. after reading spacemagicians' posts, I made a lot of these faces

:meh: :eyebrow:

"what's a truss rod?" :eek: Oh my!

But check it out...he just joined. And we don't know how long he's been playing, Before I joined this wonderful forum I didn't know what a truss rod is either, and I would have gotten a full flaming if I would have posted all of the questions I had.

So to spacemagician: Not to dissuade you from what you want to do, but this is a very daunting undertaking. If you really want to undertake this, what you need from this forum is all here

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225608

When you go to the luthier's corner, this is one of the links posted at the very top for easy access to commonly asked questions.

Macaroni Tony, out! :)