Ban on concerts because patrons might do drugs...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 22, 2003.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    This just came across my CZ synth list. Why hold the venue/promoter responsible for the crimes of the patrons?
    Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:25:29 -0400 (EDT)
    Subject: Action Alert - Liberate Dance, Unshackle Med Mj

Your Right to Dance Is Under Attack - Again!

Take Action at:

Earlier this year, backdoor politics led to the passage of the RAVE Act, a
    law that makes it easier for law enforcement to arrest event holders for
    the drug offenses of their patrons. Now, Congress is at it again. Under
    the Ecstasy Awareness Act live entertainment will receive another
    threatening blow. Your rights are in danger, take action now!!

Already the RAVE Act has been used to intimidate promoters of festivals
    and political fundraisers into calling off their events. Like the RAVE
    Act, the Ecstasy Awareness Act, could effectively ban live music and
    dancing while throwing innocent people like you in jail. In light of the
    fact that drug use is a probable occurrence at any musical event, HR 2962
    opens the door for any concert promoter, event organizer, or nightclub
    owner to be fined and jailed. It doesn't matter if they tried to prevent
    people from using drugs. Nor does it matter if the vast majority of people
    attending the event are law-abiding citizens that want to listen to music
    and not do drugs.

The Ecstasy Awareness Act of 2003 is another dangerous piece of
    legislation that could prevent you from seeing your favorite band or DJ
    live! It is vital that voters contact their Representatives and tell them
    not to co-sponsor this bill.

Actions to Take:

** Fax your Representative today. To find our more go to .

** Forward this alert to your friends, family, and co-workers.

For more information on this bill, go to and under "bill
    number" search for HR2962.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What sillyness. I guess we should shut down TB since we have a troll or two about!:rolleyes:
  3. so are they gonna shut down every major concert hall in America because someone was smoking pot?! Ridiculous.

Another example of our great administration at work.

Let's see Bush go after his Clear Channel buddies! Yeah, like that'll happen.
  4. My god, I'm moving to canada...
  5. Wanna share the rent? Jesus that is dumb as hell!
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Ahh, the joys of pateranlistic politics. :rolleyes:
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And on a similar note, about a year ago, my local music scene got hit hard with backdoor politics when it came to noise ordinances. The PLCB (which is my state's board for liquor control, don't ask me why the hell they have jurisdiction over noise ordinances) slammed local clubs with citations if the music was considered "too loud". Of course, the parameters for what was considered "loud" were ludicrious (any sound audiable outside a club by a loud speaker was considered a violation) and as a result it caused major headaches for both clubs and bands. They even had undercover agents posing as patrons in the clubs to measure the decibel levels. One such club is just now starting to hire bands again, after having to hire DJ's and kareoke for over a year do to noise violations. The sad part is, it's in no immediate proximity to any residential areas. While I understand the need to enfore laws, those ordiances just gave curmudgeons who were bitter about a bar being in their neighborhood a reason to stick it to the club.

We had an online petition that I believe made it to the state legislature and made some noise. I haven't heard much about anything though as of late though.
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the day i cant go to a concert and do a few hits of acid or walk around with needles sticking out of my arms is a sad day indeed. Were getting a 3 bedroom in canada. By the way didnt canada just decriminalize marijuana. Wow thats a darn strong argument for canada.
  9. i guess i ruined it for the rest of you guys. :p

but seriously, that is total BS.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

I'm waiting to picket the sh$* out of clear channel (based in san antonio)!
  11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    :p I hope you're joking, but that's funny! :p
  12. Just an observation. Bush has nothing to do with this bill. The congressmen who are putting it before the house do.

I'm not a Bush fan, but come on, know your government.
  13. If this is serious stuff Claypool and Phish will be deported. You can garantee a stoner or sixty at either shows.

14. Man, last time I was at the a Claypool show, I got so much of a second hand high... I can't really enjoy "WHAMOLA!" live with out the buzz :D
  15. haha... about a dozen people at any given phish show aren't stoners. :p

FF- where did you see claypool? you could've been standing right behind me!
  16. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    My god, they're trying to turn us all into sXe...

I don't see how this bill will ever be made into a law. It's incredibly ridiculous. It's like outlawing pretzels because some one (I'm not naming names" might and will choke on them. I still don't understand how people can lobby to outlaw such trivial matters, yet the tobacco industry hasn't been outlawed yet.
  17. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    count me in.
  18. Are you counting before OR after they walk through the door? :p

Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Downtown Providence. I doubt you were there though.

And as for people trying to move in with me, so far we have Tyler, Hyperlitm and Killdar. If you guys really wanna move in first things first. We all can play each others basses and rigs. deal? :D
  19. frist i would like to say
    sorry i didnt mean to smoke up that storm at the two frog shows i have been to.

this is a pretty sad thing.i thinks its wicked funny, thell put owners of clubs in jail if people do drugs in there clubs, when 80% of every kid in my school does drugs during school(idont), be it weed, e, lsd,shurms,or any othere hard drug and ,pluse ever drug u would take for add or adhd.

my school has a big problem with e , and people who dont have add or adhd takeing the meds for it. if u dont have add or adhd it's a cheap speed. kids will crush up 20 pills and snort them during class. its pretty sad.
    sXe kids make up 20% of my school but there such
    a joke.