Banana cable unplugged during gig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Last night during a gig the banana end of my speaker jack unplugged 3 times from my power amp. This never happened before so I wasn't prepared for it. The amp and cab were tilted back for the first time so that may explain it. Does anyone have experience with dealing with this issue? Any tricks / tips? :meh:
  2. You can spread the bananna plug prongs out a little to make them fit tighter. Just be careful, not too extreme. By that I mean make each individual prong wider, don't bend them away from each other. Each prong has slots in them, get in the slots and widen them a bit.

3. I use Velcro™ straps to keep my cables tidy when coiled for storage - the strap can also be used for strain-relief, i.e. lashing the cable to a carrying-handle on the cab, for instance, to avoid the problem you describe…

- Wil
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your plugs arent binded together, you can plug them in the side and then tighten the the screw-on part of the jacks.

If they are.... well... ever hear of electrical tape? :cool:
  5. E....LCT....CAL......................TAP........DOH! :spit:
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There are some plugs that are a little tighter fitting to begin with. Radio Shack and Parts Express both sell 'em. They use a barrel you tighten with your fingers rather than a small set screw, and they'll fit up to 10 or 12 gauge wire without having to trim down the wire. The potential downside is that the barrels are metal and aren't insulated, so they could get shorted by another metal object touching them.

I've seen locking banana plugs advertised too, but I think you need to replace both sides, which would be tough on the amp side.
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup - that's the answer! It's called a 'bananna' because of those four 'bananna-peel' sort of tines around the pins. You can use a little awl or jewler's screwdriver or something to bend'em back out, so that they bulge out away from the center pin more - then they'll grip again. I work in a lab where we use those all the time - you can do this procedure a good eight or ten times before the tines start bustin'-off; then it's time for a new one (after each time they go back flat sooner than before though, so maybe it's best replace'em anyway after just a few of these fixes).

8. I made cables using spade terminals, Switchcraft plugs, and 12 gauge speaker wire from Lowe's. The spade (U-shaped) terminals are very secure, if your amp's posts will accept them. You slip them on the bottom of the post and then tighten the post.