Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Banana sindrome... HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by danny3k, Jun 6, 2002.

1. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Hey!

I want to know where can I find a good luthier who can fix my problem... I have a Yamaha TRB5F and the neck is straight when no pressure is added, once I add pressure the neck starts to take the banana shape...

What can I do, Can I buy a truss Rod and then send it to a luthier?

How much would the job cost me?

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I had this happen to me, THIS IS WHAT I DID! I loossened the strings, put it in my hardshell case, put a small glue stick were the bend was the worst, then closed the case, left it for about a two days, it works, but I have to do it every month or so, but it's no problem at all!

3. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Well. English is my secondary language, there are some things that I don't understand, could you explainme a little more what you did with your bass??

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I bassicaly put something behind the neck to help it bend, then put weight on it, so it will bend the other way.

5. Danny, the only guy I know of in Puerto Rico is Ray Ramirez. I only know him from his ads in Bass Player magazine, but ,when you go to his site you'll almost pass out looking at his stuff. It's gorgeous. Here's his site. www.RayRamirezBasses.com

I think this guy is the Roger Sadowsky of PR!

Buena suerte.
    Mike J.
    I gotta order his Latin Swing CD.

6. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    the thing is that when I loose the strings, the neck takes a straight shape, When I adjust the strings, it starts to curve again.

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Loosen the strings, and bend the neck the other way, and hold it that way

8. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I'll be doing that, I'll update you with what I've done...

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    ?? Am I the only one that thinks it just needs a truss-rod adjustment?

It's typical that, if the neck is straight with no strings, when the strings are put on it will bow. The truss rod is used to counteract this. You need to tighten the truss rod a little bit. Only do it 1/4-turn at a time, let it sit for a day and check it out. Repeat if necessary.

10. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I have just called Ray Ramirez, He's a wonderful guy, the only thing is that he has to see the bass and tell me what he's gonna do with her...

The only thing is that he lives 3 hours from my house...

11. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

OBVIOUSLY I've tried adjusting the truss rod, but it has no effect.

12. Wow! That's just about how long it takes to get there by plane from New York. You must be on the other side of the island.

Again, good luck.
    Mike J.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More of a Setup problem, I think.

Moved.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    it wasnt thatobvious because i was thinking the same thing;)

15. If you've adjusted the truss rod, and it still bends that drastically, the truss rod might have a problem. It might not be snapped, but it could be stripped, which is just as bad. Take it to a tech, hopefully it is something simple we are all overlooking.

16. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Thanx man, tomorrow or in the next week I'll be seeing Ray Ramirez to see what's going on with my fiance :eek: :eek: :) :D